New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.......

I'm from England,living and working in Morris County. Keen shotgun shooter (game/clays) but absolutely no idea of what NJ has to offer in this area.
Having been over here for two years I thought I'd sign up here and check out the local pheasant hunting scene with a view to 'getting out there'again.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Welcome Redcoat!

Lots of upland hunters on the board.

There are several semi-wild hunting preserves in NJ.
I've hunted Bent Creek which stocks Pheasant, Quail and Chukkar.

The WMA's within the state are also stocked - you may want to search a few threads on these as well.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Like pla930 said, lots of good preserves which will run you around $80-$100 a hunt. You may also want to give waterfowl a try, lots of good duck and goose hunting.

·
Registered
889 Posts
How/Where do I get a license application from?
go to a local sporting goods store that sells state licenses, ask them for the hunter ed package. Take home watch DVD, complete workbook, schedule a test with the state at the closest office (Clinton WMA)etc...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all that. Re.the NJ firearms permit, it seems to refer to 'permit to purchase'..... If I was to import my guns from the UK would I still require a permit as they are already in my posession?

·
Registered
889 Posts
If I was to import my guns from the UK would I still require a permit as they are already in my posession?
The FID is only required to purchase firearms, you do not need one to legally posses. i am not too sure how it would work for international cases.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
1. Are you a US citizen, resident, or visa?
It is difficult for non-citizens to obtain an FID, but not impossible, depending on your immigration status.

2. You may need a gun dealer to receive your 'imported' firearms for you, but in that case you would still require a NJ FID card to take possession of your firearms.

3. To hunt w/ firearms in NJ - you do not need an FID, however you may borrow a firearm from someone you intend to hunt with. You will need a shotgun to complete the field test of the NJ Hunter Ed course.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Welcome to the boards Redcoat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pla930......

I'm currently here on a L1A workpermit but in the process of getting my Green Card resident visa.I just love the whole Federal Red Tape thing! and I thought the UK Government was bad.....

Maybe I'll just wait till all that is over with before grappling with more paperwork......

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I'm currently here on a L1A workpermit but in the process of getting my Green Card resident visa.I just love the whole Federal Red Tape thing! and I thought the UK Government was bad.....

Maybe I'll just wait till all that is over with before grappling with more paperwork......
Good luck with the 'Red Tape' - I know a good Immigration Lawyer, if you need one.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
You have time to go through the red tape as the Hunter Education Field Sessions are over for the season. They will start up again in March. Here's the link. You will need to register: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hntedreg.htm

Good luck and remember...be sure of your target and beyond.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Hi Redcoat welcome I'm sure once you get every thing settled anyone here will be glad to help you find a good place to hunt Pheasants. See you in the fields.

GhostBear

1 - 20 of 20 Posts