New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up gents. I am looking to buy a new shotgun. I've been getting hooked on duck and pheasant hunting and don't want to spend a fortune at the moment. I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Mossberg 935 or the Stoeger 2000. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim.
I'm leaning toward the Stoeger,but I've heard good and bad things about the Mossberg (the parts seem loose?) It rattles etc.. but it does shoot 3-1/2 in.

B

·
0 Posts
BH, there is a fairly new gun store here in LODI on ESSEX Street that just opened, he is more for Law Enforcement personnel. Anyway myself and 2 other officers I work with went there today, and he had a few hunting shotguns and rifles, prices looked good and I was tempted, he went onto to tell me this all he has for hunting firearms, and wants to get rid of them by end of the new year, he's making no money on them, making money on the handguns, and police equpiment. He also had a few slug guns with scopes on them, of course they are used , but they looked in great condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BowHuntercop-I'm in Camden County a little far south from Lodi, but will travel. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
BH,THe Stoeger has a pretty solid rep.The 935 is heavier and bulkier but has the advantage of 3 1/2" capablity. If you think down the road you will need a 3 1/2" then you may want to try the 935.

If 3" is all you'll ever think you'll need then give the Stoger a try.

Where in Cam Co do you live? I'm in Voorhees...

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I would go with the stoeger. The semi-auto used bennelli technology. Best out there. The price is low also. I am looking at getting the stoeger condor O/U combo. Comes with 2 set of barrels. 1 in 12 ga and the other in 20 ga. That too is a good deal. $500 for virtually 2 guns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Browning- At this point 3" is all I will need, my 12 ga. pump is great but it's a pump LOL. I'm not in the market for the Benelli type just yet, but eventually. Thanks I'm in Erial (Gloucester Twp.)
Do you hunt in Cam Co.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mpemt- My bro is a an O/U user and said that is a great gun. He was trying to sell me on that gun. I'm looking for an auto.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
BH,I hunt mostly Salem and Gloucester counties.I've hunted Camden co in Winslow and Waterford but have never shot anything big there so far...
How about you-any big bucks?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha-Ha. Nah, no BIG bucks here. I hunt zone 25 in Glou Co. I've been seeing some half decent ones, but now I'm duck hunting and not spending as much time as I should be in my tree stand. Where are huntin in Salem?

·
Registered
568 Posts
B H, I personally have a Mossberg 835 (the pump version of the 935)and I can't say enough good things about the gun. I've had it for two years (bought it used) and it's been through hell and high water (literally I almost lost it duck hunting a few weeks ago). It's a tough (albeit heavy) gun that I've used for everything from pheasant to deer to ducks and I imagine the 935 would be just as good a gun.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Get the Stoeger. For pheasant you will be probably be using 2 3/4 and 3" is fine for duck. You really don't need the 3 1/2 except for turkey or geese.

I use my Stoeger 2000 all th time for duck and pheasant. Great gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reply guys!
Browning- Do you only deer hunt? I sometimes hunt duck/geese around Abbott's Meadow and pheasant hunt at Madhorse.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have a 935 and love it. However, Mossberg's website claims that the 935 features a spacer system that allows both vertical and horizontal adjustment of the stock. This is not the case. Only vertical adjustment is possible. I had a little "shouting match" with the folks from Mossberg about this inconsistency.

All in all though, I love the gun.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Browning- Do you only deer hunt? I sometimes hunt duck/geese around Abbott's Meadow and pheasant hunt at Madhorse.
I like to hunt all kinds of game but have limited time and too many responsibilities.But turkey hunting is my favorite type of hunting... [up]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts