New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I a looking to buy my first bow for the 2006 season and would like some comments from other bow hunters about gear.

I plan to just hunt deer in NJ

what do you recommend. i plan on buying new, and spending in the 300 to 400 doller range (full setup bow quiver, sights).

what should i consider?
anything i should stay away from?
any stores have better deals then others?

any advise would be helpful. thanks

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Check out Reflex,pretty good value for the price.There are alot of experts here on this site that I'm sure will advise you further.Good luck.

B

·
0 Posts
Best thing for you to do is look at each bow company, see what they have to offer in your price range, then goto a archery proshop not stores like DICKS, SPORTS AUTHORITY, etc. tell the tech at the pro shop your choices, and handle each one, see which one fits your hand best

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Def. go to a pro shop. The people at those other stores have no clue what they are talking about.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Good advice so far. You can get reasonable prices--especially this time of year--on quality equipment at a pro shop, AND they'll get you tuned and ready to roll.

Reflex is Hoyt's "#2 brand", and pretty good.

There are 3 shops I like and would recommend: Bordy's in Florham Park, and Sportsman's Center and Harry's in Robbinsville and Bordentown. Both on Rt. 130 between NJTPK exit 7A and Bordentown, about 3 miles apart.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Here's my advice. Go to a reputable store; I personally recommend the Sportsman's Center to everyone. I bought my bow there and they have always treated me right. They'll ask you all of the important questions in order to fit you with a bow in your $ range. They'll even set you up with a few bows for you to test shoot. This is extremely critical in your selection. Forget about the brand names. The important feature should be that the bow when shooting it, should feel natural in your hands. Then, ask them help you tune it in their upstairs range. This will get you close as far as your aim and point of impact. Plus, they will help you to develop good form while shooting.

Good luck,
David

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Glad to have you joining the ranks of bowhunter. Its the greatest type of hunting as far as Im concerned.

Lots of good advice from everyone too. A proshop is the way to go.

Ive done bow work/shooting form help for a few of the guys on here, as well as other people. If you have some technical questions or want to stop by the shop, send me an email.

[email protected]

East Link Customs Bait and Tackle
206 Landing Rd, Landing NJ
973-770-8318

Later on when I have some more time, I can give you a few suggestions on bows and accessories to look at in your price range.:)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I got my PSE for between 300-400 as my first bow. I don't know much about bows but it hits where I aim, every time. If your from the shore try A&M archery in lakewood or tips down in tuckerton.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Offline Posts: 801
If your from North Jersey I would suggest Targeeteers 101 Rt. 46 W in SaddleBrook.
1-201-843-7788

I would stay away from Targeteers. Not so much because of their expertise, but because of their personalities and business practices.

B

·
0 Posts
I would stay away from Targeteers. Not so much because of their expertise, but because of their personalities and business practices.
at one time I thought the same, it's somewhat different these days since Little Robert took over.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Being that you are "new" and the price range you've stated, I would look for a complete set up, used. Archery equipment is worst than new vehicles, when it comes to depreciation.
There's a lot of set ups for sale now with the end of the season approching and the 2006 models being released.
If what I suggested suits you, I strongly recommend finding an very experienced "mentor" to help you out, so you don't get hosed with bad equipment.
There's plenty of bowhunters with a lot of experience from all parts of NJ, on this site, that would help you out.
If your in the central NJ area, I would be glad to help you out, just click on my name, and email your number to me, at the address in my profile. Good Luck, Gary

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I became a hoyt shooter this year, but bear/jennings has some nice set ups. Super stores may be a little bit cheaper but if you gonna take the plunge do it the right way and get set up right from the start. friends have good advice but unless they shoot competative or work at a pro shop I would go with a known pro shop.I like the sportsman center and harry's in the bordantown area, bob's is good in sj but the key is to get there in the day when they are not busy.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Houndawgg is onto something there, you could get some quality archery equipment for $400 used. Better equipment than you could get for that price brand new.

But also like he said, make sure to get setup properly first by someone who knows what they are doing.

Archery is ALL about fit. If a bow doesnt fit you properly, you will NEVER shoot it as accurately as you would a bow that fits.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts