New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Bow Hunting. Looking to buy compound bow.
Not looking for an expensive one. Planing to get this: Cabelas Any recommendation?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Dean,

PSE makes a good bow. My only suggestion would be to get it locally, from an archery shop. You may pay a little more, but you can use cabelas price as a bargining point, just remember that you will be getting a lot of advice and set up expertise with that extra price. Then next year when you need a new string put on, well you already have a relationship with the shop. Also the shop will properly measure your draw lenght and make sure the bow fits you.

There are quite a few of us on this site that are avid bowhunters, and many of us also shoot 3d in the off season. Not sure where you are at, but you would be welcome to shoot with me next spring. 3d is great fun, but very addictive.

-dan

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
ttt for other opinions for Dean

-dan

·
Registered
545 Posts
I AGREE TRY AND STAY LOCAL AND BUILD A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH LOCAL SPORTSHOP AND THEY CAN BE A GREAT HELP TO YOU - I HAVE SHOT THE SAME HOYT SINCE I TOOK UP BOWHUNTING 9 YRS AGO AND IT HAS ALWAYS SHOT WELL - WHAT I HAVE FOUND IS THAT IT IS THE PERSON BEHIND THE BOW THAT TRULY NEEDS THE FINE TUNING - SO GET YOURSELF A BOW HAVE FUN AND PRACTICE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Titus,

It is true that the person behind the bow makes the bow accurate. But, proper bow tuning makes the bow percise.

-dan

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I would recommend A&M Archery in Lakewood NJ. Mike, the owner, has tremendous knowledge of the sport,both competition and bowhunting. He assembles all his bows as well as takes you to the range on the premises and will take the time to set you up and have you shooting 5" groups before you leave. A big plus is that all work on your' bow is free,minus parts,as long as you bought the bow there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the help.

killerinusall:
Staurday , I'll go to A&M Archery to check it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
DeanZ,

This may/may not have been covered but here are my thoughts:
- Buy the bow local. When you need help, they will be more than willing to go the extra mile since you've been there before and begun a relationship with them.
- In my opinion, the bow doesn't make you shoot straight, you make the bow shoot straight. Of course, this is provided you have a bow fitted to you and properly tuned. Only a local pro shop can assist with this. Cabelas cannot help with this.
- Buy the best accessories you can (sight, rest...etc), they can always be used on a better/newer bow down the road.
- Practice as much as you can. Make it fun. Don't take it too seriously otherwise you'll stop doing it.

Good luck,
David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts