New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just going thru some of the posts and came across ******** 11/11/11 post on new beaver trappers. He is 100% correct with everything. Here are some more tips;
- Do Not wear a back pack on the ice.
- Pull your pack with a rope or better yet use a sled.
- If you are with another person, keep a safe distance between the two of you. [It is double the weight]
- There is always thin ice around the lodge. The ice on the pond may be seven inches thick, but where the main run is it may only be one inch thick depending how many beavers are living there. If it is covered with snow[which is usually the case] you could be walking into a death trap.
- Never reach down into the hole to feel if the trap is sprung because it may have been knocked over by a beaver and still set and you reach down right onto the trigger of a #330.
- Know how to get out of a #330 before you get into one.
- Always use a safety gripper.
- Threat a loaded #330 just like you would a loaded gun. Always concentrate on what you are doing.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Never reach down into the hole to feel if the trap is sprung because it may have been knocked over by a beaver and still set and you reach down right onto the trigger of a #330.

Been there / Done That !!! and the hole in the ice was too small to pull the 330 though !
I WILL NEVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN !!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
i was caught in a beaver trap once. Finally got out but she still calls once in awhile.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.