New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Thursday my son hit a big 8 but in the moment he wasn't sure where he hit him. He did have a good idea where he ran and after a few minutes of looking I found a few drops of blood. Followed for about 40 yards and wasn't liking what I was seeing. Soon after we found the arrow and I knew exactly where he hit , shoulder. What blew me away was the broadhead looked like he shot it into a block wall , it was destroyed. Got next to no penetration. He's shooting a Mathews Mission Craze set at 49lbs . Muzzy MX3. Check out this pic. Has anyone see this happen on a shoulder hit ? I can understand the light draw weight and no penetration but WOW ! image.jpg

·
Registered
824 Posts
Buy VPA broadheads. That won't happen

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The ball in the joint below the shoulder is a nightmare. Scapula wouldn't do that, 50# is plenty to pop thru that.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys , I understand the lack of penetration I've just never seen a broadhead explode like that. Muzzy is a quality head.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
where did you get the heads? gotta watch internet buys, theres a chinese knockoff version for pretty much every popular head. Packaged to mimic the original.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
where did you get the heads? gotta watch internet buys, theres a chinese knockoff version for pretty much every popular head. Packaged to mimic the original.
Cabelas. I don't mess with knock off junk.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me about 20 yrs ago. Shooting a Pearson spoiler set at 65 lbs, beeman carbons , and satellite Titan broadheads. Shooting down at a quartering to buck, I nailed him right in the top of the shoulder. It looked like I hit a brick wall! The arrow literally bounced right out and when I picked up the arrow, the broadhead was bent over like a potato chip and the carbon arrow had split up the shaft into a hundred little strips! Never took that shot again with a bow!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He's 14 years old so yeah he may have been a tad jacked up . Yes , he is shooting a light arrow because of his shorter draw length and weight. He has killed 2 deer with that set up this year . Just learned a very valuable lesson but sucks that it was on a big deer. ( sucks on any deer ). But we'll be back at it .

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
that big paddle front shoulder bone is tough. Couple years back I shot through one with a muzzleloader shooting pure lead conicals. Quartering to me, It went through, but it smashed the bone to hell, and the bullet pancaked to about a baseball. I lost almost half the meat on that one. Parts came out the far side ribcage to the tail, and just made a mess. I wont shoot anything through the shoulder anymore.

Reactions: Russ 11
1 - 20 of 28 Posts