New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I need some help. I'm looking to do an tuna trip. Do any of you have any recomendations on a boat? I have never been out for tuna and would definatly like to go. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
look at tealsportfishing.com

they're good guys..never been for tuna but have been for striper w/ them LOTS..

·
Registered
834 Posts
The mirage which is a 43 egg harbor out of point pleasant is very good. I have mated on it a couple times. Also there is a boat out of belmar, shark river called Last Lady capt. Ralph leyrer runs it and it is a 36 ft. runaway. Excellent captain. He is across form our boat and does really good. Both captains have been around for years and have won many tournaments. Their prices are comparible to other boats as where the canyon runner is over priced i think. They are good though but, too expensive. You will have just as good of time on the other two boats i mentioned above.
Darren

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for the info

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Be prepared to pay through the nose. Canyon charters are up over 30% from just a few years ago due to high fuel prices. We used to take a boat out of Cape May...was $1200.00 for the day, he is now over $1700.00. Priced me right out of tuna fishing...at elast until gas prices drop. [smirk]

·
Registered
834 Posts
overnite trip to the canyone which is what i would recommend is about $2,800 average for 6 guys. It is pricey but worth it if you have the extra cash and want a good trip.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea if I can get 6 guys to go it wont be so bad. have you guys ever done it by yourself on a reservation basis? I hear thats not to expensive and I wouldnt have to worry about getting guys togther I could go out by myself if I wanted.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The boat i mentioned last lady capt. Ralph Leyrer takes single reservations. I think it is $300 or so for the overnite trip. Well worth it. YOu can look up his website at www.lastlady.com
Party boats also do overnite trips which aren't bad but, you would have to waite until october when the fishing really heats up for them and then you have to worry about the weather.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tuna thanks for the info I just checked out the web site and contacted capt Ralph.I think I am going to go with your recommendation and go with the Last lady either a charter or by reservation. Thanks agian. By the way how has the tuna action been the last couple of years?

·
Registered
534 Posts
"Wait for October for the bad weather" I go every year the end of August or beginning of September, and we ALWAYS have to worry about Hurricanes. An overnighter is fun. Sometimes you "limit out" by 2:00 or 3:00, other times you (meaning the boat) will catch one (1) fish, but that's why it's called fishing.

·
Registered
834 Posts
September and october it is really good but, july is good for trolling. You can let him know that Darren Stiles sent you to him. I don't get nothing out of it but, he would be happy to know that i sent you to him.
Thanks
Darren Stiles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check out the fisherman weekly and look for tuna boats. Make reservations now if you plan on going on a weekend. Been on quite a few. Things to look for are how organized is the boats crew, speed of the boat, and height of the rails. Check out a bluefish trip on the boat of your choice and see how its run. On a tuna trip you want to have an organized crew with a captain who briefs everyone on how things are done. Some boats are run in a do whatever you want fashion and they really aren't what you want on a tuna trip. Look for mates who follow the fish, untangle lines, promptly. Some boats have a real following on tuna trips so you can count on a much better quality of fellow angler and lots of people who know how to work together. Check the fishing boards and you'll find out which ones have a following. Check the speed of the boat because while it may be a really well run fishing boat, 8+ hours to get to your fishing spot can really detract from the trip and limit your catch if the hot bite is a little out of the way and you can't get there. Also check the height of the rails as a few inches can really make or break you if you plan on using a harness/belt. Some boats rails are a little to high to effectively use a belt and so you really have to bring em in the oldfashioned way, tuck it under your arm and reel. Hope it helps.

Oh yeah, size of the boat doesn't hurt. Been on everything from 28 ft on up out in the canyons and nothing like having some size to your boat when your fishing in real 5ft+ seas.In fact none of them are big enough when the weather turns to c***. Been on the biggest boats(100ft+) out there and when the weather turns they start to shrink by the minute. Definitely consider size if you plan on fishing later in the season. Take care.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks conphoto, and the rest of you guys. you gave me some great advice. Just out of curiosity would any of you want to take a trip? I've been asking around and it seems not to many guys like the open ocean. the bays they're ok with but I'm having trouble finding 5 or 6 guys to commit to a tuna trip. I would be fine with reserving a spot on a boat or a charter.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I may be interested. It depends on the price and time of year. I'm already heading on two definate trips this year (deer in maine, salmon on ontario)and it could be as many as 8 (deer in texas, turkey in NY, shark off the jersey coast, eiders in maine, etc, etc)... it adds up $$$. Shoot me an email off list and I'll talk to you about it. My email is in my bio.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I may be interested as well, considering cost and time of year. My two brothers may be interested as well.

-dan

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey guys Ive been working 12 hour night shifts 7 days a week to boot. so forgive me for not getting back to you sooner.I will be looking into this trip and give you guys more details as I get them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts