New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out this morning with my recurve around 9am to hunt my blind, AND of course I spook up a decent 6 point and a 4 point on my way in, cross over the main trail right in front of me.
So I get to my blind and bunker down for the next 3 hours. I finally get bored and too cold so I decide to stalk a little. I venture out into some part of the property and I STUMBLE across a big bodied 10 point that was on his way to bed down and actually bending at the knees underneath a pine tree. I nearly sh*t my self because he didn't see me at all. So I draw my recurve and he must of heard the slight metal draw back cause he bolts about 25 yards into some thorns. I wait a couple of minutes and move in to check out the lay of the land and he sees me and bolts.

I backed out of the woods cause I found a major bedding area and they are all aware of my presence today.

Question 1, -- Do I go back tommorow with a portable tree stand, or give that area a few days to "cool" down again.

Question 2, -- If that big boy was bedding under cover at 1pm. What time should I be in that area to catch him coming in.

Question 3, -- Should I climb right on top of the bedding area or find a tree from a distance and hope that he comes within my recurve range which is about 20 yards.[confused]

Thanks I need some help on this one. If I had my shotgun I could of dropped him but this property won't allow shotgun only bow.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Nick, I would find a trail that leads to the bedding area set up a treestand and keep my fingers crossed! Also, try and get there just before light, Hunt the whole day if you can stand the cold. Oh, don't get to close to the bedding area, I would stay away a few hundred feet! Do you bait this area?

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
i would try what dsaintoo4 suggests with the full moon they should be out all night so try to catch him going back to his bed.. good luck[up]

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Well, if you have a blind in that area that would be fine, but you should get in there before light! However, if you can get in a treestand, you would have a better advantage! Saturday would be a good time with the storm passing and other hunters in the woods maybe they will push him toward you! My 2 cents

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a small bow only prop that is entirely a bedding area. The only way to hunt it is to be very aware of wind direction and get in nice and quiet at least 1.5 hrs before light. Since you bumped him you might want to wait a few days before you go back, if you bump him again he may never come back to that area again.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I thought. This section that I stumbled on is a bit of pines on a small ridge between a little valley of thorns and a section of scrub trees and actually a bit of a garbage dump for landscaping. The pine beds were well worn underneath. Leaving me to believe that they like it on this spot because they can flee into the thorns if spooked. My plan is to wait a few days(if he's still alive) and go in about 6am up the tree in my climber. I'll tell you what, I am really frustrated. Its the biggest buck I have actually seen with my own eyes since I've been hunting and I can't believe it got away.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Go with your instincts thats the way we all learn. With the curve thats how it is correct? You caught him once while he was there maybe you could do it again during the storm.What type of metal sound was it that the bow made. Are you shooting off the shelf or an elavated rest of some sort. Wooden arrows with Zewickes or the old Bear glue ons, the yellow ones I use.I pray you get em.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shelf has a little pad and a small piece of leather on the side. I just put some cloth tape on the bow now it really doesn't make any sound. I shoot with aluminum easton arrows and wasp 125gr razorheads. The earliest I'll be able to go out again might be saturday or monday morning... Either way I am going in my loggy bayou climbing stand and try the old suprise approach. I think that I rushed it a bit. I could of just stood there behind the tree but I grew impatient. I should of waited.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
go back out there right when the storm ends on Friday afternoon..... Good Luck....:D Great to see oythers hunting with a traditional Bow .....[up][up]

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
A deers hearing is as acute as their sense of smell, not much gets by either.
A few days of not disturbing the area won't hurt.
Back when I was using a recurve,I use to wax my aluminum arrows with paste car wax a couple of times and it helped quite the draw. Of course, it's better done preseason to let the odor fade.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I hate to say it and it's not a nock on other hunters but I don't think that I'll be hunting much more with my shotgun.
I seem to of caught an archery bug and I prefer hunting in silence. I also like the feeling of being up close and personal with my quarry. I have talked to some fellow hunters who are friends of mine and they are way to gung ho on just going out to the woods and blasting away at anything with antlers. Thats not me, or what I'm out their to do. I like going out solo and finding my way. I'll probablly stick to my 50# 1970 Bear takedown recurve for a while and maybe after christmas I'll pick up a nice compound bow for the tree stand hunting.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I'll probablly stick to my 50# 1970 Bear takedown recurve for a while and maybe after christmas I'll pick up a nice compound bow for the tree stand hunting.
Thats a great bow you have I had a old bear recurve and it was great, I now have a long bow and I'll never go back to a compound again.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would throw a bait pile near by with a trail cam (if you have one) & see if he's on the bait. I usually have good luck over bait this time of year. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts