New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may have seen from prior posts, I've been shopping around for an inline and thought I was going to get the Encore but I decided that I probably won't really take advantage of the ability to covert it to centerfire and for the price difference ($200 over the Omega) + the barrel cost - I could buy a decent centerfire rifle for that amount. So - it will be the Omega! Now I found a used Omega in black composite with stainless for $199. A new one is $399. Money is not really the issue but being a frugal guy - $200 is $200. I don't want to buy somebody else's problem though. What should I look for in the used gun to help me decide if it's in decent shape? I can look through a bore like any nitwit but I don't know what to look for other than pitting, corrosion or strange looking rifling. Any advice on how to assess this gun or should I just get the new one and not fret it. If I buy the used one I get 30 days to return it in case of trouble. Frankly I'm leaning toward the used on so I can use the money I save for a treestand.

Thanks

bb

B

·
0 Posts
If it was me, I would buy new. Never know why this person is selling it, maybe this person didn't keep the barrel clean, it can be for many reasons. Buy new you can maintain it the way you like.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
For $200 I'd buy it.The Omega is a fairly new model that's only been around a few years.How bad shape could it be in? Plus it's stainless! If it makes you feel better,inspect the bore prior to purchase.T/C makes great guns! Good luck.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I bought a used Encore last year from Simon Peter Sport Shop. I have had no problems and saved a few bucks. If anyone is interested ,I have a Remington Model 700ML. Stainless. The barrel has some pitting but you can have it for very cheap. E mail me at [email protected] if interested.I am not sure what the laws are regarding selling a firearm ,so if anyone knows please fill me in. Is there somekind of transfer papers??Or forms to fill out??

·
Registered
942 Posts
I agree with BHC when it come's to smoke pole's take no chance's ..I have seen how some people treat them.I'm sure it's clean now but I would not take that chance..

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
JRhunt,
Yes in the case of most guns,(rifles, shotguns etc,(any gun that fires a self contained bullet)), the gun must be transfered through an FFL, (Federally Licensed Firearms Dealer).
In the case of muzzleloaders they are exempt from this federal law. However, each state and some municipalities have the right to restrict the sale/transfer of otherwise exempt muzzleloaders. NY and NJ are two states that have excersized those powers in the past. The current state of those laws in NJ are unclear to me...

More Importantly....

"When placing an ad for firearms you are trying to sell, you MUST include a statement which specifies that the buyer is to have the necessary permits appropriate for the transaction. Failure to include this statement in your ad is a disorderly person offense under L.1983, c.515, s.1; amended 1990,c.32,s.5. "

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Failure to include this statement in your ad is a disorderly person offense under L.1983, c.515, s.1; amended 1990,c.32,s.5. "
If the monitors of this site think my prior post might cause a problem, could they remove it?? Thanks

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
As far as the Omega t/c, is one heck of a rifle. I own one. If the individual is going to give you 30 days, take it and fire it. You don't say if it has a scope or open sites? As far as buying it in the state of NJ, both buyer and seller MUST have a FIC (purchaser firearm permit) go to any firearm dealer in NJ and ask for the form certificate of eligibility, both of you must fill it out. You keep one and he keeps the other and you are done. Tony

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Re: Failure to notify anyone in an ad to have the proper permits etc.
Relax !
We always knock first before knocking down the door to serve the warrant :D
JUST KIDDING:D
And the last post is correct, and applies to any LONG guns. Handguns are a whole diff. world.
Sorry about the scare :p

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys for all the replies. I'm gonna have them pull the breech plug and see what I see. If the bore looks clean and I feel good about the 30 days return "fine print" - I'll do it. That gives me time to get up to Cherry Ridge and test it out. I has the fiber optic open sights and I don't plan to scope it. Be nice to get this gun in my safe for 2 bills. Buying used might also save me having to sell my Ruger (don't ask, my wife has issues with the numbers of guns and guitars I have - I say she's jealous, she says I'm obsessed) The main thing is the smokepole get's me several extra deer hunting days - that's why I want it. Speaking of extra days, if someone can talk me into bow hunting - I'm listening. To me that's one steep learning curve for a guy who has limited time on his hands......but........

·
Registered
502 Posts
Dicks Sproting Goods sells the T/C Omega with the camo syn stock, and stainless barrell for $249.00 thats where i bought mine, if your looking to spend 200.00 go the extra 49. for a new one. Dicks Sporting Goods Rt 33 Bethlehem. Easy Buy in PA also

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
bgood: you don't have to pay or have someone pull the plug, if the seller took care of the rifle he should have the tool that comes with it. It takes one minute to remove the plug. Just drop the trigger guard, which opens the the cap cover insert tool, turn it and you have an open barrel to look down in. But take gypsy advise and get yourself a new one for the extra 49 bucks

·
Registered
949 Posts
Jrhunt Just curious why did you switch from a Remington 700 ML to an Encore? I use a Remington 700 ML 54 cal, gun shoots great.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Cheese, I often had misfires. I lost confidence after 2 misfires in 2 days on 2 Does.I could shoot that gun 25 times at a target with no problems. As soon as I took it in the woods it would misfire.Got fed up and bought Encore.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I had that happen to me after sighting it in one day, but only after you rammed a bullet into it. Somehow the gun new it was loaded. Otherwise, I could fire cap after cap. I guess when you tap the side of the barrel to get the powder to settle then ram the bullet into it it causes the spring to get out of wack. I took the gun into the woods opening day of muzzleloader had a nice eight under the stand, pulled the trigger and heard a click, deer jumped over my path that I walk in on and stopped five feet away, reset the bolt, fired and bang droped the deer in its tracks. 20 feet up five feet away straight down. That day I was real lucky. Next day I was on the phone with remington, they sent me a new mechanism for the bolt and a new nipple. That was around five years ago never had a problem after that. I was thinking about switching if the problem occured again, but the gun just shoots to good now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts