New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today's ML outing at the range proved to be frustrating big time. I was hoping to dial in my Omega with my new Bushnell Elite 3200 once and for all to get ready for permit ML. First I noticed that the mount had the crosshairs slightly off level. I could probably live with that but I don't want to so all the work I did on the mount had to be redone (I hate these Weaver rings, as I tighten them they very slightly rotate the tube and pull the crosshairs off level). After that, I wasn't even on the paper - remotely.

I pulled the breech plug and eyeballed it to get the scope on the paper and when I shot it was nearly perfect. All 5 shots grouped on the 6 inch target at 50 yds with my last three touching. Fired 4 more at the next target also at 50 yds and had another nice group of less than 3 inches center to center. OK I like this. The scope is RIGHT ON at 50. Feeling good I move to 100 yds and proceed to learn that every shot is 4-5 inches high but on line. This to me is a surprise as I was thinking the bullet would be starting to drop by 100 yds. The load is great for 50 but my plan was to dial the gun in so I was a little high at 50 and right on at 100. Looks like if I want that I'll have to set it a few inches low at 50 to be on at 100.

Does anyone have some advice for me? The load is two 50 gr. 777 pellets under a Powerbelt 245 gr bullet. I'm wondering if a heavier bullet will give me the drop I expected at 100. I'm not willing to go to loose power as I like the convenience of pellets. Should I just leave it dead on at 50 and be happy knowing any longer shots will require a lower hold (seems counter intuitive to me but what do I know). I'm not looking for another project!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'd say that's about perfect! If anything go 1.5" low at fifty and you should be good out to 200 yds. If you like the way the bullet is grouping I wouldn't change bullets. IMO

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
You didn't try and drop your powder a few grains?
Sounds like the load is to hot and is rising.

Just my thoughts on it.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I'd say that's about perfect! If anything go 1.5" low at fifty and you should be good out to 200 yds. If you like the way the bullet is grouping I wouldn't change bullets. IMO
I agree.

·
Registered
227 Posts
TO ME SOMETHING IS NOT ADDING UP / I WOULD ? THE LAW OF PHYSICS MATTER & MOTION. I WOULD FOUL THE BARREL AND LET THE GUN SIT OVER NIGHT THEN I WOULD GO BACK TO THE RANGE AND FIRE 1 SHOT AT 100 YARDS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS WITH A COLD GUN. A HOT BARREL CAN DO STRANGE THINGS. JUST MY TWO CENTS[up]

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Definitely slow down the shooting cycle and let the barrel cool. Try shooting 3, cleaning, shooting one "what the hell" shot to foul the barrel, and shoot 3 more..s-l-o-w-l-y-so that you are shooting a relatively clean, cold barrel. (like your first shot during ML)

Set the crosshairs about 1 1/2 to 2 in low at 50 yds. REMBEMBER PARRALAX!!!--the scope knobs say "1 click equals 1/4 inch at 100 yds"...that means 1 turn equals 1-EIGHTH inch at 50 yards, or 1 turn equals 1-SIXTEENTH inch at 25 yards.!!!! Its amazing how many guys don't know that and get P.O.'ed at the range.
Good luck!

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Online Posts: 146
Definitely slow down the shooting cycle and let the barrel cool. Try shooting 3, cleaning, shooting one "what the hell" shot to foul the barrel, and shoot 3 more..s-l-o-w-l-y-so that you are shooting a relatively clean, cold barrel. (like your first shot during ML)

Set the crosshairs about 1 1/2 to 2 in low at 50 yds. REMBEMBER PARRALAX!!!--the scope knobs say "1 click equals 1/4 inch at 100 yds"...that means 1 turn equals 1-EIGHTH inch at 50 yards, or 1 turn equals 1-SIXTEENTH inch at 25 yards.!!!! Its amazing how many guys don't know that and get P.O.'ed at the range.
Good luck!
Also unless it is a real high doller scope there is an element of backlash in the scope adjustment. That is when you change direction there are sometimes a few clicks that don't do anything.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys - some good tips here. In doing some reading I have heard that 100 gr 777 under a 245 gr bullet can cause it to sail. I am going to try this again with a cold bbl. and rule out hot bbl.

I picked up some 300gr Powerbelts and Shockwaves to see if they perform better. I have some range time in front of me but I'm sure I'll get it. Worst case I know I have a really good 50 yd load which is really what I need. I'll just do what Venison and mpemt24 suggest and adjust - 2 low at 50 and 4 high at 100 is still a kill shot if I get the crosshairs on the right spot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts