New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions for good scouting books, videos, or anything else that might provide some good pointers.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
can't think of any books or DVD's/Tapes.. All I can do to help would be tell you to.

Walk your area and look for Rubs, scrapes, foods, dropings, tracks, and DEER themselves. When you find trails mark them on a map and also take some sewing tread... this way you can tie the tread across the trail and when you come back to that area you look to see if the string is broken and the way the string is laying will tell you which way the deer are moving. I hope this helps

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Yup Mystic nailed it.

A good book on scouting is "Mapping Trophy Whitetails" by Brad Herndon...

Paul Brunner makes good videos about scouting and stand placement. I cant think of the titles, but Stoney Wolf productions makes them.

Now is a little late to get out there and scout hard. You really want your spots picked and ready by this time of year. However, as MG pointed out to me the other day, long range scouting is a great technique for this time of year. I do a lot of spotting, to see the deer in fields, and also setting up stands a good distance away from where you want to hunt and watching with binoculars is a great tactic right now.

Whatever you do, dont disturb the deer in the areas you plan to hunt. Keep a good distance, and stay scent free.

For early season, you really need to key in on food sources, such as white-oaks, grasses, apple trees, corn, etc. Dont overlook water sources either in the early HOT season. Deer will often come to drink early in the evenings at small secluded ponds or creeks. Look for tracks around these areas and set up 50 yards back up the trail.

Use this time (early season) to look for last years rut signs while you're out hunting. Old rubs, old scrapes(virtually impossible to spot by now, but you may find an overhanging branch thats been worked hard for several seasons or even a year round scrape.)Find the areas where does heavily bed, and locate travel corridors between the bedding areas. Pinchpoints or faint trails off of main trails inbetween these areas are where you might intercept that bruiser buck when November rolls around!

Good luck---Matt [up]

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Matty said it better then me... I guess I should have put it the Matty did. But You could do a fast scout in and out real quick. Narrow down key spots, then scout from a far. Like Matty & I said Food & Water would be the first 2 things to find.... Then bedding. As the season goes on, try and look for the other key areas, Like Breeding areas, Scrapes/Rubs.

With these 3 major areas can put you in bow range of many deer. This Tuesday I will be out scouting with BHC, on one of my spots. Don't let anyone tell you "It's to late to scout" or " You can't scout now it is to early" Hog Wash.... I scout 365days. You need to know how they move all the time, Summer will be the same as Fall, as in movements. Come Permit Bow they start to Move in to the rut and taking different trails, Looking for DOEs. After 6-day (gun season) the deer change again. This is there Late winter patterns, buck's now looking for food and the late rut. ( Yes there is 2 rut's in one Year)Early Spring, Birthing areas. One key spot most don't look for. If you are lucky anuff to find this place PUT IT ON THE MAP.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Another thing to consider is, the best time to really go snooping through the main areas is January through April. There is no real harm in spooking deer at that time, because they are already on red alert from hunting season. Also the woods will be most open, and sign will stand out like a basketball player at a midget convention.[up]:D

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I always check myself when scouting and good bug juice works too. Bug be gone think thats the name from Avon skin-so-soft is good. Also when I get home I have my wife check me out too. I'll have her do it till Late in the winter when it's to cold for me to go out.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Kevo> if you would like some hands on tracking maybe one day I can help you out before the season starts. Where do you live? I live in Phillipsburg. NJ up by Clinton WMA.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
scouting tip = get maps. Topo and/or tax (from the local municipality). Mark/remember on the map where those suckers are bedding, traveling, and eating. Heck, even mark/remember where you are seeing them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts