New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my pistol permit and im looking to get something in 40 cal. I think i have it narrowed down between a Glock 22 or 23 or a Springfield XD 40 in 5 inch or 4 inch. I know both are great guns but i want to know some pros and cons from people that own either one. Also if you do own an XD, how do you like the grip safety? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
I like both XD's and glocks. I own the XD 9mm service. The grip safety is a nice safety feature so is "cocked" indicator as well as loaded chamber indicator. Either one you choose check out powder river precision they did a custom combat trigger job on my XD. Shortened travel, over travel, reset and reduced trigger pull to 3.5lbs.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Neither, buy Walther
If I'm not mistaken the Springfield is made in Croatia

The Walther P99 is dependable ,accurate,Easy to assemble/dissassemble & clean only 4 pieces, removable backstraps for different size hands, and can be shot Right and left with mag release on both sides.
Only drawback is price.But it is well worth it

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long did TR take to do your permits?
Interesting story....I applied for 2 pistol permits on Feb 23rd in Toms River. My cousin applied for his FID and a pistol permit on Feb 25th in Brick. We planned it close on purpose to see the difference in the 2 towns. My cousin called the Brick pd after 3 weeks and the said they were just waiting on the return of the reference letters. He ended up getting his FID and Pistol permit in 5 weeks. I just got mine last thursday.

So Brick was 5 weeks and he had to be printed and get his FID.

Toms River was about 10 weeks and i didnt have to be printed or anything else. Just a pistol permit.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Neither, buy Walther
If I'm not mistaken the Springfield is made in Croatia
It is made in croatia but that doesnt meant anything. Its a quality built firearm ive fired thousands of rounds through it without any problems.

dependable ,accurate,Easy to assemble/dissassemble & clean only 4 pieces, removable backstraps for different size hands, and can be shot Right and left with mag release on both sides.
XD M has all of these features also. I dont like that walther recently issued a recall that the weapon may discharge a round without the trigger being pulled:p

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I own a few glock 9mm and a springfield 45 tactical... all are great guns and you cant go wrong with either choice. The only advantage to the glock is the barrel rides lower in the slide and the recoil is centered more on the fulcrum (webbing of your hand at the top of the handle) so felt recoil is a little less.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Held both before buying. The XD felt like a water pistol with a brick on top of it. The Glock just felt right. I have a 23, but if I had to do it again, I might have gone with a 22. I really like it though. One stovepipe at around 200 rds, but Im pretty sure I limp wristed it. I like the fact that its a no BS reliable gun. The only problem is you wont even be off the range before you are planning on your next 2 or 3 Glocks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.