New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a mag lite for years now. It finally went. I have been looking in Cabelas and there are so many different kinds now. Should I stick with a mag lite or are the led and xenon lights better?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Led will be brighter. Not sure how much brighter xenon with get.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
led is a good light I have a head lamp I bought at walmart that has three settings red, bright and blinding.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
i picked up a great light at Lowes. it never needs batteries and it has it's own generator. there is a little crank handle on it that you wind for a minute and the charge last's for an hour. never needs bulbs either.

i'll see if i can find a link to it. btw, only cost $20. i know if i blow $70-$100 i'm going to leave it in the woods and be very upset.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Maglite now has a conversion kit to LED. If you already own one the Kit costs a little over $20. I just bought one a month ago and its great.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I have been using a mag lite for years now. It finally went.
Don't forget about the spare bulb in the base.

Just bought a petzel from Cabella's. the one you wear on your head. 19.99 on sale till the 31st. I liked it so much I sent away for one for work an one for my son. Comes with a xenon and a reg bulb.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I keep two fully charged STREAMLIGHT flashlight in my Jeep for tracking. My fanny pack has two Surefire 6P flashlights http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/prrfnbr/889/sesent/00 in it. One has a red filter for going to and leaving stands. The other has a Blue filter. In a blue light, blood shows up as black. Great for tracking when there are a lot of red leaves on the ground.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I don't think anything can beat SUREFIRE they use lithium batteries. They are costly but worth every cent. I bought mine at a shop down South that caters to Police officers. I pay 100 dollars and it sure is worth the money. You buy the batteries directly from Surefire and you pay 15 dollars for 12. When you turn that baby on it turns night into day. Its used by all our Special OP's serviceman and woman, and must of the Police officers that I know. It puts a lanttern to shame.[up]

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I use a scorpion uses 2 lithium Batteries $$$ they dont las long but when the light works it works well good for tracking in the dark until the battery dies. I just picked up a light from wallmart the goes on your head has a red light and you can switch it over to white. They are LED lights and bright enough for the woods and the red one is great for going into your stand at night without spooking deer.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Ya know guys I never thought to use red light to get to my stand in the mornings.. Thanks for the unintentional advice guys.[up]

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Scrubby Walmart has them for like $13 dollars they work well hand your hands are free. [up] Made by energizer

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I have been using an old Military flashlight with the red lens installed for years. I would rahter not be trailing a bright light to my stands. I keep 2 mag lights in the fanny pack for following blood trails but that is after the kill.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I have the surefire with the lithium battery, but it only lasts about an hour. Also have a Stinger with two rechargable batteries but they are only good for an hour of continuous use also. But they are awefully bright.

The best light I have for tracking is a Pelican underwater light I bought for cave diving. I takes 8 D cell batteries, is a little heavy, but that thing really lights up the woods...and lasts for a long time.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Surefire is awesome for lighting your way, but be careful...that little red button on the bottom for on/off will press against things in your pack and burn out your batteries without you realizing:(

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Surefire is awesome for lighting your way, but be careful...that little red button on the bottom for on/off will press against things in your pack and burn out your batteries without you realizing
Been there done that [sad]
The newer versions have a feature that when you unscrew the cap to a certain point, the button does not work. Great safety feature :)

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
hkdon Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts