New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone this is my first post here so I hope I do it right. I am trying to find out any info on this Black powder percussion pistol. I got it from a elderly lady who husband had pass away & didn't know anything about it. I have been asking anyone that has an interest in guns if they know anything. So far this is all I could find out,
The only marking I see is on the barrel there is a circle and inside the circle is a E on top of the L G & a star under.
Someone said It is Belgian Manufacture,
No Serial# that I could see,
The Barrel look to be about 50 caliber! (That's a guess)
Here are some photos.
Thanks for all your Help......

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
nice looking gun there good luck on finding info the guys on here will help

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Unless you had a pistol purchase permit, I'd delete this post ASAP

Reactions: rgw and George79

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
I didn't think relics and antique firearms needed any kind of transfer process. I could be wrong. Anybody have a link to the law?

Reactions: jerseyhunter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your reply.. I thought that any antique firearm before 1900 was exempt, plus I don't see any serial #. Not sure if the #s would be behind the grip or not? I haven't take anything apart. I what'd to stay away from that. If about does know please post what the law is, there is no problem making it legal if need be. As for the looks of the pistol I have not cleaned or polished it at all. It look shiny in the photos. Thanks

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It's a lady's muff pistol. Popular mid 19th century. Good item for things that go bump in the night. On its legal acquisition, you will get different answers and that is because NJ law on these things is ambiguous. NJ says it is an antique in one portion of the law on firearms and later that you need the FID card to purchase them. Also NJ makes a distinction between antique long guns and handguns, requiring a pistol permit to purchase the latter. Acquiring one in another state and bringing it back to Jersey is also ambiguous. I had a NJSP detective tell me if it was lawfully acquired in another state one could bring it back to NJ but it then it had to be transported in accordance with NJ firearms laws on transporting it as NJ considers it to be a firearm. Bottom line on this is that obtaining one of these things in this state requires the pistol permit, you may not buy one through the mail and whether or not you can buy one out of state and lawfully posses it in Jersey is a legal crapshoot, probably depending who stops you or who the local prosecutor is. I know it's annoying. I had to get a pistol permit to purchase a Civil War revolver I wanted at a local gun shop that I could have legally purchased at a flea market in most other states. It is a good looking piece of history.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bronzecollector, Thank you for your link. It shows that this proofmark dates the pistol @ 1866 to 1893..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts