New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK So I went to Cabelas, and was looking at air rifles. I am told the are as loud as a .22
there was a Gamo Hornet on sale, does anyone know if it is worth buying and NJ legal?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Has a shroud? Right?

I have two air rifles. A springer and a PCP. The PCP is quiet and accurate but just under the FPS minimum while the springer has more punch and is louder and more diffciult to shoot accurately but no where as loud as a 22 LR. Not even close. It does have much more recoil than a 22 LR. I don't have any experience with the GAMO but doubt it is as noisey as a 22 LR.....did an internet search and could not find anything

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a Gamo big cat 1250 and is noisy as hell. I have heard here is recommended to change scope and mount from factory... I think there is a good reason for that...

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
There is no suppression system, so it should be legal. They are pretty loud...

I picked up the Ruger Air Magnum Ruger Air Magnum .22 Cal Air Rifle Combo | AirgunDepot.com from Cabelas the other day. I haven't really fired it much yet, so I can't comment on the way it shoots, but it does sound similar to a .22LR. One thing I would recommend, these things are tough on scopes. You might want to look into a rifle with iron sites. Adding them aftermarket is not going to be fun.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Pyramydair.com is a good site even if you just want to educate yourself on what's available. Depending on what kind of quality you will settle for, there are better choices then gamo. if you have a gun shop close by that you do business with, most times for a couple of bucks you can have your air gun delivered to that shop.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Gamo is a gimic. nobody needs 1300 fps from a pellet gun. Most pellets shoot much more accurately around 925 fps or lower. I .22 heavy pellet at 900 fps does some serious damage to most critters intended to be shot with a pellet gun! Pellets lose stability when going too fast. They also lose accuracy when breaking the sound barrier. All my air guns are tuned to be below 925 fps.
My Daystate air ranger is a hammer (and tack driver) at 905 fps (about they varry slightly)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Gamo is a gimic. nobody needs 1300 fps from a pellet gun. Most pellets shoot much more accurately around 925 fps or lower. I .22 heavy pellet at 900 fps does some serious damage to most critters intended to be shot with a pellet gun! Pellets lose stability when going too fast. They also lose accuracy when breaking the sound barrier. All my air guns are tuned to be below 925 fps.
My Daystate air ranger is a hammer (and tack driver) at 905 fps (about they varry slightly)
I just stepped up from 7gr pellets to 10.4 gr on my Crossman .17 cal. Accuracy and consistency improved dramatically. Slower/heavier=better in my case. Last week took out a squirrel from about 25 yards. All that was showing was his head and neck as he hid on the back side of a tree. No way I could have made that shot with the lighter pellets

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought it, finally, and the guy says "you from Jersey" I said why? He said just a standard question I had to laugh at him and said yea, but I grew up not far from Hamburg. He said don't tell anyone if they ask...now I need to get to the range.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a Gamo Big Cat in .177 and .22 in stock if anyone is looking for one, and there is no NICS fee to buy one.
I would have but the FID is in the process of an address change so they do not match.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
what did you buy?
I agree with RWS poster before I went to PCP air guns I had RWS excellent quality still no PCP
Once you should a PCP air gun you will say omg where have youbenn all my life! lol
If I had a Daystate air ranger when I was a kid I would have bagged a heck of a lot more frogs, squirrels rabbits ground hogs!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.