New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My father passed away recently and left everything to be split evenly between his four children. He did not itemize any of his long guns or pistols by make and serial number as I suggested. He did state when alive that he wanted my brother and I to split the guns, which we are in the process of doing. So, I am not concerned about the long guns really but I am VERY concerned about driving to a range with one of the inhereted pistols and having my balls broken or worse should I be stopped for some reason. I have a will that only states ALL assets be divided so, technically, his guns being assets I inherit but how do I make this all legal. Can someone advise me what I need to do? I would really appreciate the help from someone who knows.

Thanks and Regards,
Pete

·
Registered
230 Posts
You don't have to do anything as long as your Father legally purchased them and they are Jersey legal.

NJ Firearms Law 2C:58-3j States as follows, "Firearms passing on the heirs or legatees. Notwithstanding any other provision of this section concerning the transfer, receipt, or acquisition of a firearms, a permit to purchase or a firearms identification card shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to his heir or legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. The person who shall so receive, or acquire said firearm shall, however, be subject to all other provisions of this chapter."

As long as you meet the NJ legal requirements to own said firearms there is nothing further you need to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you do not have a firearms ID I believe an heir wll have a 180 day grace period to either obtain one or sell the fiream through an FFL. See Section 13:54-1.13(b) . This may be extended pass the 180 days at the discretion of he local police chief but the firearm must be held by the local PB until said sale is conducted.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You only need a NJ ID card for purchase. He's not purchasing anything.

You don't need one to legally own a firearm as long as it's NJ legal and you are not what NJ calls "a prohibited person".

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
If you do not have a firearms ID I believe an heir wll have a 180 day grace period to either obtain one or sell the fiream through an FFL. See Section 13:54-1.13(b) . This may be extended pass the 180 days at the discretion of he local police chief but the firearm must be held by the local PB until said sale is conducted.
This is incorrect. ... READ 2C:58-3j

What you cited above is the procedure for those who inherit firearm(s) & are a person who would not otherwise legally qualify to posses a firearm in the State of NJ (ie. a convicted felon, an individual under a DV restraining order, a mentally defective person, etc.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts