New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im looking for a new rifle. things i want are affordable gun under or around 500. i want it to be affordable to shoot for target. i think .308 is affordable i have bought them for 10 bucks for 20 in pa but id rather go smaller like maby a 223? can this still drop a deer? i would like a bolt action synthetic stock maby stainless barrel. but all of that isnt that important. i do want more then one shot or else id go with a h&r. id rather have a different cal then what i have already. we have a 243 a 300 and a 308. they arnt mine but they are mine to use. well i think thats about it. it will maily be fore target shooting but if i go hunting in pa id like to be able to use it to. definitely want affordable ammo tho

i think 243 and 223 are the best cals to go with rite?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you know how much 270 ammo is? i dont know what is cheap or not i want to do alot of target shooting with it. i shot a 270 yesterday and it kicked harder then my 12ga with a slug in it lol it wasnt to bad tho i could deal with it

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha i know it was a light little gun super nice. i shoot three inch mags all the time threw shotgun i can take it[wallmad]

·
Banned
5,319 Posts
I would go with 223 for target has great yardage 300yds + i'm buying a new rifle but i'm going big 338 win.mag big bore for montana

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
223 would work for deer but it is very light and shot placement would be key. It also is not legal for deer in several states so if you were to go somewhere else it mey not be legal. It is about the cheapest to shoot and if target shooting is your primary objective it is a good choice. There isn't really a deer caliber out there that is sheap to shoot anymore. About the closest you would get to cheap and not be one you have would be a 30-30.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info. i dont think ill go anywhere besides PA if i do go hunting and if i need to i will have alot of other guns to use. i think 223 will be a good choice now i just need a cheap reliable gun

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I don't think anybody would reccomend 22 cals as a deer cartridge. Go with 25s or bigger. IMO

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
.243 minimum.stay away from .223(too small)it will drop deer under IDEAL conditions but it does not have a heavy enough bullet for good penetration or knockdown power.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
IMO Would go with a 30-06
That's what I've been using in PA. Although, just got a very light-weight 7mm-o8, but may wait 'til next season to scope it and field it. It'll be tough leaving the '06 home, old reliable ya know.

·
Banned
5,319 Posts
.223 will drop a iraqie in combat at over a hundred yards.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Inexpensive ammo and capable of killing deer while still doing the job at the target range..not an impossible task but one that may require a bit of thought.

Most folks either shoot competition in metallic silhouette, across the course(XTC)high power, F class prone or some combination of all three.

This would be marginal for silhouette(insufficient bullet mass), nearly ideal for XTC, and just ok for F class prone(long explanation about bullet weight vs available rifling twist ommitted for brevity).

Hunting
For deer I would strongly recommend against it's use. Bullet selection in factory ammunition favors rapid expansion rather then penetration as it's primary hunting use is on varmints. Catch a deer on a rib and the bullet may blow up before it gets to the vitals.

Cost
.223 ammo is likely to be your best bargain.

Very few suitable bullets, even for reloaders, for target shooting and nothing available in factory offerings.
Great reliable hunting cartridge
Ammo cost is about average

30 cals
.308 & 30/06 are the bedrocks of the 30 cal cartridges. You have access to a 308 so nothing further need be said. For your purposes the 308 will do anything the 06 can do unless you decide to head out west hunting.

6 & 6.5mm
the 243 is a 6mm as is the 6mm Remington. Factory ammo is inexpensive, both are accurate target rounds (although I am unaware of any suitable factory ammo)and they have killed deer all over this country. Reloaded ammo is often used very successsfully for 600 yard competition in the 243. For all practical putposes they are identical.

6.5 Swede has more umph then the 6mms and has been used for decades in Europe on critters as large as our elk. Recoil is very light(less then the 270), accuracy is superb and bullet selection in both factory and reloadable bullets is pretty good. Price on factory stuff is somewhat higher then conventional US ammo.

Any of these calibers can be acquired in rifles running less then $500. Check out the Savage line of bolt rifles. They have a well deserved reputation for out of the box accuracy and they come in a wide assortment of calibers.

If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me.

Good luck,

Art

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow thanks for all that info. really killing a dear isnt to important like i said i have alot of other cartridges available to use

1 - 20 of 36 Posts