New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a tick that was inbedded in my back on Tuesday, and pulled it out....I wasnt to concerned, but I just took a shower and looked at it in the mirror, and it is a lump the size of a quarter!!!!!! It wasnt a deer tick, it was a brown tick, so I have no clue why it is swollen????

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
If you don't get the whole tick out first, you usually get an infection immediately after taking the body out and leaving part of the head inside. You took the advice and went to see the DR. PRONTO, antibiotics will do the job, blood work will be inconclusive right after a bite. Wait another 4 to 6 month and have blood work done again. I always have blood work done for lyme every year.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Get it checked out. It isn't just the deer tick that carries lyme disease - or other diseases.

I'm not a doctor but my daughter had lyme disease. If you've contracted it you've caught it early so antibiotics should do the trick. My understanding is that they treat a person for lymes if they are displaying the symptons. They may need to test the tick for lymes so don't throw it out if you haven't already.

Ant

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
A good trick to know for removing ticks. Take nail polish remover and sature the tick and sorrounding area. This will cut of the oxygen supply to the nasty bugger and he will pull himself out. Tony

·
Registered
304 Posts
lyme usually is transmitted from "seed" (very small)ticks, very small. adult tick probably had your blood in it. penn state entomology department did a news release this week on unusual number of ticks in pa. deer this year. mine and buddy's taken monday were loaded with big ticks. two jersey guys reported more than usual number of ticks in nj deer they got in bow season. a doctor once told me lyme doesn't show up in blood right away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts