New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a winchester model 12 pump shotgun that was my grandpas and its now mine the whole gun is great and works fine except for the tube that hold the shells ,,,, when you put in extra shells it either stops and jams ,, when i shoot it i have to manually put shells in the action,, any advice on what might be wrong or place to bring it to,,
thanks,, dylan

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I agree with NJGunner. Sounds like years of "gunk" in the magazine as well as a weak mag spring.

Take it apart or have someone take it apart and clean it and then try it. That may be all it needs.
If problem persist, get a new mag spring. ;)

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
This is easy and you can do it yourself. Model 12's are easy to work on and are robust enough that you can't do too much damage.

Ensure the gun is unloaded first, cycling the action.

1) Disassemble the M12 in normal fashion. Pull the trigger on an empty chamber, push the magazine locking pin downward and toward the right, pull it out until it stops, use the pin as a lever, rotate the magazine tube counter-clockwise (1/4 turn) until it stops. Pull the magazine tube forward.
2) Move the slide action and forend assembly forward until it stops, rotate the barrel and magazine assembly 1/4 turn counter-clockwise (front view) Remove the assembly toward the front.

Taking the forend/magazine assembly, use a wooden towel or a pencil eraser-end first and try to depress the magazine follower inward and see if it binds anywhere. You could have a broken magazine limit plug, grit, crud, gunk, etc. in there. NEXT -

Remove the magazine spring, plug, follower:

a) Take a fine screwdriver and depress the round-wire spring in its slide-slot on the underside of the takedown pin at the end of the magazine tube. By depressing the rolled-tip into its recess, you can remove the takedown pin and slide it OUT of the magazine tube.
b) Remove the two small opposed screws at the front of the magazine tube. Take out the magazine plug and the plug stop plate toward the front. CAUTION: The magazine spring will be released, so restrain it and ease it out. Remove the magazine spring, plug and follower toward the front.

Check to make sure there are no binds, bends or kinks in the spring. If there are, get a new one.

Clean out the tube of debris like you would a shotgun barrel with a bronze brush and some cloth soaked in cleaner. Check clearance and freedom of movement of the follower (which is steel) by dropping the follower back into the tube and see if it glides smoothly up and down the tube. If there is rust on the follower, you can easily clean this up with some 4-OOOO steel wool and WD40. If you get it to ride freely in the tube, you've succeeded.

Assemble in reverse over.

(Note- when reassembling, put a couple of drops of Loctite on those two opposing screws at the front of the magazine tube. They have a tendency of working themselves loose at times.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
One other avenue to investigate:

In addition to checking the spring and magazine tube assembly, ensure that the carrier is properly lifting the next live shell UP to be fed into the chamber as you cycle the forearm forward. Remember that the carrier must be in its full downward position for it doubles as the shell stop for the magazine. The spring that forces this carrier down may be bad. Disassembly of the carrier, carrier plunger and spring and shell guide plate in the trigger housing group are best left to an expert who is familiar with its workings.

This design of the carrier on the Model 12 allows you to unload the magazine without cycling the action.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.