New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on bowhunting in fall and winter and don't currently have camo clothing. Got a gift certificate to Cabela's for 100$. I know there are many patterns and options. What do you all think works best, overalls, jacket & pants, waterproof, scent proof, tick proof, etc. What camo pattern is best in NJ at that time? Thanks

B

·
0 Posts
I like Mossy Oak over all, but I also have and like the Cabela's Seclusion 3D camo, but any of the camo patters today are great. For Bowhunting I like pants the 6 pocket BDU type, and a Camo Jacket bomber type, also wear either a camo long sleeve t shirt or sweat shirt, if it gets to warm I take the jacket off. Scent Proof is important when hunting deer, but it can cost you $$$$, make sure you wash them clothes in scent free deteregent, air dry outside, store in a scent free container or bag, spray the clothes, bow, and yourself with scent killer spray. I have rain gear that I take if they call for showers, if its down pouring I dont care to hunt in that. Also look at the area you hunting, see what camo pattern is best for you[up]

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Early season - still hunting, Light-weight silent weave - a 3-d or ghillie is ok but can get too hot.

I've been using Mossy Oak Break up for most everything, but I'm picking up a wool suit or berber for cold stand hunts. Outfitter or traditional pattern is still good. Very impressed with Natural Gear.

Scent cover is important but pricey. Being conscience of wind direction is best defense.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
For tick proof- get rhino skinz underwear. I don't bother.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Dont waste your money on scent "adsorbing" clothes. They can not be reactivated, they did a test on them, the heat from a dryer is not enough to re-activate the charcoal liner.[down]

Silence, is key. Thats why I like fleece. Other fabrics are quiet, especially after washing, but make sure when you look at the clothing you rub it against itself. If it makes noise, picture that noise being amplified in the dead silent woods, as you draw your bow on a monster buck.

Take a look at the natural gear fleece line. They are some quality clothes at a reasonable cost. Cabelas offers a Berber fleece outfitter camo series for a good price too....Though Im not sure of the quality.

Also, Walmart carries some decent camo clothing. They have a fleece jacket for about $25. I own some of their clothes, they work just fine.

If you arent looking to spend a lot, you dont need a different weight clothing for every temp your gonna hunt. Just get something that fits loosely enough to go over lots of layers.

As far as camo patterns go....In MY Opinion the best ones are Natural Gear, Outfitter Camo, Realtree Hardwoods grey, ASAT, and Predator. Seclusion 3d is tremendous in certain situations, but isnt all that versatile. Mossy oak is good too, but most of their patterns "close up" at longer distances, and appear dark in some settings. Any camo pattern should get the job done though. Its all about breaking up the human outline. Mixing camo patterns from top to bottom is one of the best ways to do that.

Good luck!
[up]

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I love the open camo patterns like Predator, ASAT, Outfitter and Nat Gear. I use Predator deception mostly as it really breaks up your out line. I have had deer look right at me, but they almost seem to look through me instead. The other evening I was able to stalk within 15 yards of three mature doe in an open yard with really no cover. It was too dark for a shot by the time I got close, but the deer kept looking up at me, doing the head bob thing, then back to feeding on the dropped acorns.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Get what you like, as long as it breaks up your outline it's fine.

Look at Chuck Adams, that guy swears by just wearing flanel clothing while hunting, stating that few things break up your outline better. Not too many folks have shot more P&Y animals than him. He only started to wear camo once the companies that make the clothing started to pay him buku bucks to do so.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Gray sweats tops & bottoms work really good, ALso any kinda earth tones work great too.
and Black Chuck Taylors!

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
For the fall, I wear a pair of lightweight overall pants. I wear a thin light camo shirt with it and will layer with shirts as needed and wear jeans/sweats on the bottom.

Lightweight Bibs

For the winter, I wear a pair of Walls insulated coveralls. And again, layer with your choice of shirts and bottoms.
Walls Coveralls

The pattern is not that important. If I had to choose, I say Mossy Oak, Realtree Timber, or Advantage Timber.

Wash any/all clothes (including layered ones) in scent free detergent.

I like this combination because you can buy the bibs for ~ $30, and the coveralls for ~$60.

Good luck,
David

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Regular weight Mil-Spec style Woodland Camo BDU's with silk "long john" top and bottom under, for those cold mornings, yet hot afternoon/nights at this time of year.

As it gets colder, just throw a Walls Camo Coverall over the top of the above combo and you're "good to go".

Cabela's usually has online specials/sales for all of their Walls Camo line, and it should be coming up soon.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
as long as it looks natural with your surroundings, its good! you dont wanna have a cornfield pattern in the middle of the deep woods! lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts