New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything from small engines to cars and trucks I can give u some advice just ask, If ur doin a project and stumped on sumtin let me know. Im a full time repair shop owner in flemington but if anyone has any questions automobile or atv related dont hesisatate to ask, i will give u a hand. not looking to make any money just with the economy I know stuff is kinda tight and people are trying to fix stuff themselves where 5 years ago they woulda paid someone to do it. if I can give some advice leme know!!....

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I will take you up on that offer....I have a 97 ford explorer (5.0 lt, all wheel drive, 185,000 miles) that bangs like crazy when I step on the gas.( The harder I step on the gas the more it bangs) If I'm off road or on snow, it chatters under pressure. I was thinking the torsion bars or the transfer case drive chain. I changed the transfer case oil and there was not any metal in the oil. I had a mechanic check out the torsion bars but he thought they looked fine. I also changed the tranmission mount but it did not help.

What do you think?

Thanks, Elmo

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Perfect timing !
I have a CubCadet lawn tractor with a Kohler engine.
Last year when the engine got hot it wouldn't start again till it cooled. This year it wouldn't start at all. It wasn't getting any spark, so I changed the ingnition module and it fired right up and ran fine till two days ago. I ran out of gas and re-fueled but I had a hard time getting it started and when I did, I would have to choke it to keep it running.But even then it would quit. I thought perhaps it wasn't getting fuel. I checked the fuel filter and it had some dirt in it but not much. I let it sit for a day and it fired right up again and ran fine for about 15 minutes than stalled again, just like if it was out of gas. Choking it got it to run but only for a few seconds. Why would it act like it isn't getting gas after the engine warms up??? Seems like carbrator problems Could it possibly be spacing between the ignition module and the flywheel?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Elmo, have you had the universals checked? Also check the ball joints,& the tie rod ends. the ball joints and tie rod ends will not cause the noise your hearing when accelerating but they are very common issues on the explorer. Another thing to check is the rear differental. if that is leaking it may have leaked enough to cause damage.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Universal joints are fine as well as the differential. I know the noise you are talking about with the tie rod ends. This sound comes from under the driver or passenger seat area.

GG it sounds like you have a needle and seat problem in the carburator. Drop the bowl down and remove the float and needle.(be carefull) Clean it out and it should be good to go.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
My Explorer is all wheel drive, not four wheel drive. It used to make the noise just a little, but now it does it all the time. I cant take off from a stop sign or light without it banging a few times...[hihi]

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
banging. does it sound like a drive train bang? or maybe the cat pipe that goes around by the trans hitting due to bad motor mounts? first things first, make sure your mounts are all good, that will avoid the exhaust banging into anything, Also those are known for the sway bar likks to break and make that exact noise, check them and get back to me

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gobble, sounds like the needle in the carb is stuck, this is common on a small engine after it sits all year and the gas isnt circulated in the carb. It definately sounds like a carb issue (if ur still getting adaquite spark during this condition) My suggestion is to remove the carb and take the bottom bowl off, clean what u can with carb cleaner and blow out the ports with a air compressor, just whatch what u blow (no punt intended haha) and how hard u blow in there, there are some seals u can destroy if 2 much air pressure. take apart what u can and reinstall. if this sounds to complicated I would take the carb off and bring it to a small engine lawnmower shop and have them rebuild it, and set the float and needle back to origonal settings. leme know but definately sounds like a carb issue

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
GG you definately have a gas flow problem. If you can try dtopping the bowl, and remove the float and needle. probably a little piece of dirt stuck in it. If you need a hand let me know..

Arrowflinger, My draglinks are good and I think my motor mounts are as well. As I mentioned earlier, If I'm in mud or snow and nail the gas, the banging turnes into a chatter[hihi]

I have tryed everything. I really think it is the transfer case chain slipping. I may remove the front shaft and take it for a ride to see if the noise goes away......

Thanks!!!!

My only remedy right now is to turn up the radio. Only problem is the subwoofer is burnt out[hihi]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.