New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Marinate in buttermilk at least 24 hours. Get yourself a dutch oven type pot with lid. Wash off buttermilk, add your favorite marinade and 25 to 35 minutes in 300 degree oven. Enjoy[tasty]

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Sure. I should have paid more attention to the time cooked..sorry. This method is my standby venison recipe from an old German couple. I vary the time cooked depending on the cut.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Backstraps and loins are actually synonymous with each other.  Like a pig backstrap is a "bonless center cut loin" for example.  But then you have tenderloins (fillet mignon), top sirloins, bottom sirloins etc.
?...

Backstraps run along the spine, outside of body cavity, loins are inside body cavity

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Cacciatore Style
you need:
loin cut into 1/4 -3/8" medalions
S&P,flour for dredging
1 med. onion sliced
1 C sliced mushrooms
1/4 C beef broth
cpl dollops of butter & bacon fat
good splash of red wine
cooked egg noodles
flour medalions fry in butter & bacon fat
remove to plate, add onions mushrooms, sprinkle a little flour on top and saute till soft add beef broth &wine bring to simmer add meat serve over egg noodles

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Ingredients needed:
Four venison loins or tenderloins cut to about 4 inches long (about 6 ounces each)
4 large mushrooms (about 1/4 pound total)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 large egg
1 puff pastry sheet (i use frozen puff pastry), thawed
4 tablespoons Gorgonzola cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)

For the sauce:
1 cup veal or beef demiglace (I make my own with I can of beef gravy and a tablespoon of tomatoe paste)
2 tablespoons Sercial Madeira wine

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425°F.

Pat venison dry and season with salt and pepper. In a shallow roasting pan roast the venison in middle of oven 12 minutes, or until the meat is RARE or about 110 degrees (filets will be baked again after being wrapped in pastry). Chill filets, covered, until cold, about 1 hour.

Thinly slice mushrooms and in a heavy skillet cook in butter with shallot, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste over moderate heat, stirring, until mushrooms are lightly browned. Transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl to cool completely. In a small bowl beat egg to make an egg wash.

On a lightly floured surface roll out puff pastry sheet into a 14-inch square. Cut into four even squares.

Put 1 tablespoon Gorgonzola in center of 1 square and top with one fourth mushroom mixture. Top mushroom mixture with a venison filet, pressing it down gently, and wrap 2 opposite corners of puff pastry over filet, overlapping them. Seal seam with egg wash. Wrap remaining 2 corners of pastry over filet and seal in same manner. Seal any gaps with egg wash and press pastry around filet to enclose completely. Arrange each completed wellington, seam side down, in a non-stick baking pan. Make 3 more in same manner. Chill remaining egg wash for brushing on pastry just before baking. Chill the venison wellingtons, loosely covered, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 425°F.

Brush top and sides of each wellington with some remaining egg wash and bake 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden.

Make sauce while the wellingtons are baking:
In a saucepan boil demiglace and Madeira 1 minute and keep sauce warm.
At this point you can plate either with the demiglace over or under the wellingtons. HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS AS MUCH AS MY WIFE AND I DO.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
"Tenderloins" would be the proper term for the cut running inside the body cavity. Loins and back-straps refer to the same cut running along the spine on the outside. Just trying to clear up any confusion.
Thank you for educating, I was going to put a diagram up, but the above quote is 100% correct. Tenderloin is inside. Small but good

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.