New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son shot a nice 7 point on youth day. 16 yds. 18 feet up. Shot a little back and high. Followed blood for 250 yds. The buck bedded up and after that, nothing. We found the back half of his arrow covered in blood. The blood was dark and high on the weeds. At least 12 inches of the arrow still in the deer. No sign after 3 hours of looking. Thought?? Thanks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
keep looking, if you lost the blood search circular patterns and fan out. it is dead somewhere. Check water that is towards the way it went or nearby. and go down some normal paths and look on each side. I found some deer the next day in the middle of the path..... never looked there that night!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My angle sitting next to him made the shot look good. I sat in the same tree today and its what made me realize it was a little back. We waited 45 minutes before taking up the track. We could hear him stumbling and running into things as he ran out of the cedars so all indications that night sounded like the shot was good.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And MarkMartinFan I have looked since Saturday night. Only problem is he ran on other properties that I have not been able to gain permission to go on. There's no local owner and stands all over it. Can't seem to run into anyone.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I would spend some more time in the area of last blood, also look for bird activity. Sometimes in tall grass the blood can fall all the way to the ground, good luck.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Hmmm you started by saying a little high and far back. Ok so you note the deer's reaction and note where you hit. Now check the arrow for evidence. Type of blood and hair that'll help tell you where it hit. One thing I didn't like, if it was hit a "little far back", that should be a very soft area. The front half at least should have come out. If the front half stayed in it may be more high than you think. Remember though in a tree you need to hit higher in order to get to where the vitals sit. Just under the spine and above the vitals is a "no mans" land. Nothing vital and a very tough recovery. Keep looking though bud, hope ya find him

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The other thing to be worried of is that long distance tracking. Never ever give up but if it goes that far let em lie and come back. Look for heavier blood spots as in he was standing there listening to you approach. If you see that more time may be wise. Just things to help in the future now go find em n show is the pic

1 - 16 of 16 Posts