New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here ever fish NC for stripers? Im stationed in camp lejeune right on the coast and I was wondering when the best time for stripers is down here. I started surf fishing for the first time last november on NJ with chris n and loved it so Im hoping to start getting into it down here a little before i leave for afghanistan in march... any help would be appreciated- NC's fish and game sight wasn't too much help

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Contact Beach bum charters.
To be honest, he told me that NC sucks anymore over the past few years. The fish haven't been making it that far due to over harvests. He's been making the haul to Va because of it. The population used to winter and stretched from NC to Va thats how many fish there were, now there's pods of them in Va. A lot of striper experts think we're on the verge of another collapse and apparently in NC they are starting to see it as well.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
In NC typically you are talking January/february for stripers.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Im stationed in camp lejeune
Hey ryanH.... I've been stationed in good old Onslow County myself. Although I did not fish for stripers, try vertical jigging with small jigs along the wood pilings on the base fishing pier. I used to have a great time catching small Sheepshead on medium actions tackle. I knew some guys who would kite fish (or balloon fish) using whole squid off the end of the pier and hook up with King fish and even some Tarpon. This allowed them to get thier bait waaaayyyyy out there when the wind was good. There was also a guy that would fish the canal you pass over on your way to the pier and he used to do good with flounder there. I also did some deer hunting in Vanceboro NC (about 1 1/2 hours north) and scored on a pretty good buck and shot a few does while there. I donated those deer to Hunters Feeding The Hungry (participating butcher right in Jacksonville outside the gate) because I lacked freezer storage. Some of the really small ponds around base had some decent bass fishing and small 3" sluggos worked well. Have fun brother and good luck! [up][up]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts