New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone participating in the NAVHDA fall test on Sept 12 & 13?

I plan on going just to watch and learn a thing or two. Will be the first hunt test I attend. Which day is more productive, Sat or Sun?

Jay

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
What is NAVHDA?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no NA test ran on Saturday? I was hoping to see a little of both.

I'm not getting my GSP pup until next year and want to gauge different dogs maturity the level of training that should be achieved by certain ages. I been so busy all summer, I never made it up to a training clinic.

Good luck with your pup! [up]
Which kennel is he/she out of?

Jay

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
No test is on both days. I am running on Sunday. I should be there helping on Saturday too. Ask for Mark.

I have Brits from Marjos Brittanys.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I am also a Del Val member and will be there helping both days for the test. My GSP ran the NA test back in June. Working on finishing up F.F. at the moment.

Ask for Keith or my wife Kerry would like to meet you.

Markbrit, Good Luck. I am sure "Sam I am" will do Great. See you Tomorrow at the training day at the Mills.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sojerseygsp:

With a young dog, there is no hard fast rule on a level of training that should be achieved by certain ages. Like people some dogs mature earlier than others therefore gauge your training specifically for your dog. How quickly your pup progresses and to what levels is based on intelligence, maturity, natural instinct, desire of the individual dog. Some dogs have it and some dogs do not!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well since I know my pup will be intelligent and full of natural instinct and desire, I have nothing to worry about. :D

I understand what you're saying, but you don't think I should set benchmarks?

Are you going to the test?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Thanks for good wishes Keith. I am not at training tommorow. Better bring a raincoat!

Jay there will be many dogs there at the test.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know, but Keith's dog is out of the same kennel that mine is coming from. Actually the same dam if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
617 Posts
:DSojersey:

A benchmark in my definition is a minimum standard. You should set expectations based on where your puppy is witin a specific point in time within their own developement and maturity. You want a pup that matures ito a happy healthy dog. Too much pressure early on in a pups life may result in a negative way when the puppy matures.

Well since I know my pup will be intelligent and full of natural instinct and desire, I have nothing to worry about.
Other than the trainer no..:D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sojersey:

Hook up with Tim Clark, Glenn Basko and you will do all right.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think Tim is running a dog although I am not certain on which day. A Nobelle pup that is under two will be running in a UT test I think on Sunday. The owners are Ed and Kathi Harrington.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts