New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12/4/05 - Posted from the Daily Record newsroom
N.J. hunters taking aim
More than 10,000 deer may be killed this season

Chances of driving into a deer will drop after the year's most productive six days of deer hunting start at a half hour before sunrise Monday.

What we used to call the "shotgun season" usually removes 10,000 or more deer from ever crossing in front of a car. Shotguns, muzzleloaders and bows now can be used by hunters during the six-day season whose 2004 kill dipped to 7,895 because of foul weather opening day that kept deer and hunters apart. We bagged 12,322 the year before.

The first day is the best day for bagging a deer because it's when the most people hunt and the most deer are available. Saturdays are often next best while midweek hunting can be tough because deer head for people's houses where they know they're off-limits, plus they get more nocturnal than bow and muzzleloader season made them.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051204/SPORTS/512040318/1002

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Adult deer ticks usually have fed and dropped off their hosts by now, but entomologists say female ticks are still questing --looking for a host -- while some male deer ticks stay with deer hosts all winter waiting for a female. Dropped off ticks can handle cold down to 28 degrees, so don't be surprised if you get some on a ground stand
Ticks can handle 28 degree temps... That suprises me. Look out for those ticks people. This is a bad year for them...

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 04 Dec 2005 9:05 AM Last Edited By: JerseyJim

Currently Online Posts: 3746
Quote:
Everyone going to the Thirsty Moose should read Stabile's article since he might be there.
I hope he goes!!! He seems like he really wants to make it over there but isn't sure if his schedule will permit....

What time at the Moose?

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
Everyone going to the Thirsty Moose should read Stabile's article since he might be there
i don't see it in his article that he will be at the moose...LOL

i'm probably not going to be able to make it now. i have to take a trip down to middelsex county.[mad][down]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.