New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is the copy UBNJ used.

Live to Hunt ... Hunt to Live
These early years of my hunting are also what I now consider the "bad years" of my life, filled with the youthful folly of drinking, drugs and irresponsible behaviour that hurt those around me.

Hunting began to take on more meaning as time went on and something was kindled inside me that took on a life of its own. More and more the spirt of nature got to me. It got inside me and became part of me. As this spirit of the hunt grew within me, it left less room for drinking, drugs and self-destructive behaviour and eventually those things became memories of a misspent youth. The peace, serenity and comfort I felt inside my own skin while hunting was unlike anything I'd ever experienced doing anything else and soon hunting became a way of living. Hunting, you see, has been my personal therapist for years now. Through it, I learned to be part of something that went well beyond shooting a gun or a bow. It was much greater than the act of taking the life of a beautiful wild animal. It was much more than the thrill of success; you see the kill was sometimes part of the hunt, but it wasn't the defining aspect of the hunt at all for me.

I came to have great respect for the game I pursued; a respect that was well-deserved. I feel that many people who have never hunted cannot understand this and, of course, there are those who simply don't want to understand it. Asking those who do hunt why they hunt will result in almost as many answers as there are hunters. Hunting, you see, is a very personal thing. The only answer I could provide is that hunting gives me peace and, in a sense, it gives me life. It puts me in touch with the circle of life and reminds me of my humanity and more than that; it saved me from jail and even death. In retrospect, hunting saved my life.

I found out that I was born with a defective heart valve and the path I had taken early in my life would have surely led to my untimely demise. Hunting set me upon a different path; one that has not only kept me alive, but let me truly live. Hunters and fishermen give back to nature and fund the maintenance of our natural areas more than all other sources of funding combined. But this doesn't do anything to endear us or our sport to the so-called "animal rights" activists. Why is it so hard for the so-called animal rights people to see how we as hunters are the ones that help to take care of nature? They feel that hunting is not humane and, I suppose, they are entitled to their opinion. My opinion is much different, however. Hunting restores our connection with the Earth and nature. The animals we take live wild and roam free, unlike the domestic animals that we raise and slaughter for food. Wild animals eat and are eaten as is every living thing in this world. But they live and die the way nature intended whether the predator is a coyote or a bowhunter.

Hunters have the power and desire to live in harmony and balance with nature. The buffalo, turkey, elk and rocky mountain sheep are a few animals that are thriving today because of the dedication to preservation that hunters and hunting organizations bring to the table. In a sense, everyone hunts in one way or another, whether it is for work, a mate, a car, a house, a way of life or whatever else is important to us. Hunting is way of life that cherishes life and nature and is a life that allows us to experience real freedom, harmony and peace with God and ourselves.

This is the life I hunt for. I live to hunt and I hunt to live.

Contributed by Salvatore P. Patti A.K.A. mysticguido, New Jersey

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry this is the one posted with UBNJ...

Live to Hunt ... Hunt to Live
It seems like only yesterday I started hunting, but it's been over 20 years. When I started I didn't have anyone to teach me what to do or how to do it. I just learned on my own. I had started hunting during the "Bad years" of my life; Drinking, drugs and not really caring what I did or who I hurt.

Hunting started to mean something to me slowly. More and more the spirt of nature got to me. The drugs eventully stopped and hunting became a larger part of my life.I never felt the peace that I get when I'm in the woods, mountains, or plains. Hunting has become a way of life. I learned to be a part of something more then shooting a gun or a bow, more than just going out and killing a beautiful animal. I gained more respect of the game I hunted and in return I was giving the game the respect it deserves. Most non-hunters don't understand this and some just don't want to. Ask someone why he/she hunts and you will get many different answers. The only answer I can giveis that hunting gives me peace, and nowadays it gives me life.
You may ask Why is that? Well, hunting saved me...It saved me from going to jail and from death. BY hunting and stopping the drinking and drugs it added more life to me. I was born with a defective heart valve. The thrill of the hunt is a thrill that no drug or booze can give me. I have been saying Live to hunt...Hunt to Live for the past 10 years. Five years before I had found out about my heart. Hunting keeps me alive and being alive is what makes me hunt. Hunters give back more than they take out of hunting. We as hunters give back to nature what others can only think of giving. Why is it so hard for the so-called animal rights people to see how we as hunters are the ones that help to take care of nature. They feel that hunting is not humane? Well take them to a cattle ranch and then a slaughter house and then see humanity.

Not that I'm downing the cattle ranchers or the people that work in the slaughter houses. But look at it this way, a calf is bron a male, 99 percent of which is fixed, and become food for us and we'll also look to see how they are killed. Hunters have the power to bring back what we have taken, like the buffalo, turkey, elk, and rocky mountain sheep to name a few. I can see that these days everyone hunts in one way or another. We hunt for work, a mate, a car, a house, a way of life. A way of life to live free, happy and at peace with God and ourselves.
FOR THIS IS THE LIFE I HUNT FOR AND
I LIVE TO HUNT AND HUNT TO LIVE.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Good read Mystic.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, but which one? Both are good copies. The first one was edited by a Robert Williams TradMall.com / TradTalk.com, the second one edited by Jorge Coppen (editor of Traditional Archers of New Jesery ) U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
since so far everyone is saying nice things about what I wrote.... I'm writing something new, might not be out till next year. I will post it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
good piece..It reminds me of my on wrong path in life. Im 48 and just recently ,,last year got back into the hunt. I enjoyed it when i was a kid , but then took all the wrong turns in life. I hope to lead my son down the proper path to enjoy the outdoors, so as he grows he makes all the right decisions.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
[up]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts