New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for anyone who is in the market to get a nice set of layers at a low cost for winter hunting.

So for a base layer I use STAR winter (walmarts under armor) $28
Then over that I put 100% cotton long jons loose fit $20-30 (if not 100% get something close)
For the next layer, I put on some sweat pants and sweat shirt $15

Then over all of this WALLS cover-alls from dicks $169 (got on sale for $30)

This is a nice system and keeps you warm. I have only tested it on 4 hour hunting trips so not sure how good they are after 4 hours. But when i left I was still fine and it was under 30 degrees the whole time.

Just thought I would let everyone know what works for me and hope it helps someone

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
socks and boots? thats the most important part lol

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Ya my problem is not my legs and body... It's my feet that get me up and moving around.

Good advice though.[up]

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Under armour sucks. Get yourself a quality set of merino wool base layers and you will be able to sit in any temps and not hae to wear a big bulky outerlayer to keep warm.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Under armour sucks. Get yourself a quality set of merino wool base layers and you will be able to sit in any temps and not hae to wear a big bulky outerlayer to keep warm.

Sure does. It never keeps me warm, all that money pissed away. Bought Scent BlockerS Cold fusion and all warm now.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Forget about the brand name stuff like under armor, for base layering stick to thin leyers of polyester and wool blends, same goes with socks. When it's really cold try using the Boot covers without the the boots on with a hand warmer inside once on stand.

·
Registered
184 Posts
i like anything wind proof! silk, or polyester sock liners underneath cotton or woll blend sonks keep feet warm and dry.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
I dont care for wind proof products. They make you feel like your wearing a body condom and when it gets cold they are very noisey.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
you dont need brand names at all. use skin layer made from Polypropylene, cover with wool insulation, and goose down overalls and or jack and pants.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
So for a base layer I use STAR winter (walmarts under armor) $28
I've been wearing the Starter "under-armor" for mountain biking since it's inexpensive and I shred through them very quickly.

This year, I purchased one of the insulated pairs. I'm not sure what the lining on the inside is made of, but, it's almost like a very thin layer of fleece.

For under $30, they're well worth the money and do assist in keeping me warm. I've actually lessened my 'mid-layers' by wearing these insulated base layers. I went out in the snow the other morning and I had, Starter Base Layers, regular cotton thermals, a pair of wind-breaker warm up pants with a thin insulated lining and my Scent Lok Vertigo Suit (insulated)- wasnt cold at all and I believe the feels like temp was in the teens..

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Keep the body warm and the feet and hards will stay warm.

I have tried the fancy long jons, don't like them. Plus they retain odor.

This is what works for me

Base layers

1. Cabela silk long jons for whicking the sweat off
2. I have a couple cashmere sweaters that I bought off eBay for like $10 and $20. One of these goes on and it is a miracle. Even when I get wet from stalking, this thing will keep me warm.
3. If it is cold, I use Cabelas fleece wader liners over the silk one. If not cold (say less then 10 degrees), then just the thin silk long jons
4. I carry a down vest in the back pack and put it on once I reach my blind or stand
5. The bibs and hunting coat go over this
6. A good neck gaitor and wool hat(s)....sometimes two is needed cuz that is where the heat is lost.
7. Wool socks for wicking

A thermos of hot tea helps, too.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Just thought I would let everyone know what works for me and hope it helps someone
The only way your set up will help is to help someone freeze from the moisture and sweat. Your layering system is a good combination for hyperthermia...May be good for a quick jaunt in New Jersey but I wouldn't recommend it for any serious hunting...

·
Registered
291 Posts
The only problem I have with insane Layering is that I sweat like crazy on a march deep into the woods with gear.

Having said that, Polartec/Micro fleece acts like wool without the weight. I also love buying St. John's Bay loose fitting thermal shirts from Penneys. I get them a size or two too big and wear them as my final layer before coveralls.

For days below freezing, I pack an extra set of thick wool socks, and change them just as I prepare to climb the tree. My hike is long and foot sweat will demolishes my ability to sit in freezing temps.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Then over that I put 100% cotton long jons loose fit
Eliminate cotton from all of your hunting clothes. You should have all synthetic materials...the old Alaskan saying "Cotton Kills". You need a good base layer (thinner for cool weather, heavier for cold) followed up by a insulation layer (best I found is "polartec" polar fleece), followed up by a good, moveable, weather proof outer shell...I swear by Sitka Gear...might be expensive, but once you try it, and stay warm and dry in the harshest conditions, you will never use anything else.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You should have all synthetic materials...the old Alaskan saying "Cotton Kills".
Yes, cotton kills. But I also don't care for synthetics. Can't stand them for hunting, or for street clothes for that matter.

Synthetics don't breathe the way wool does. They trap sweat and odor. They're flammable. And when wet you will get cold.

For me, a good set of wool is by far the best option for cold weather hunting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts