New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well she started her day off at work and after a long day at work she decided to put on her Daily drive with a bunch of other drivers, well around 5:30 a Doe jumps out and my wife was up first she got the first hit it was a good hit a little far back but it through the Deer straight up in the air. the Deer landed and was laying there with its head up so the Local Law enforcement officer pulled up and he put his .45 cal to use and finished her off he even dragged her out of the way of the other drivers so they could continue there drive.

My wife was shaken up but unhurt and felt bad for it a little. My wife approves of hunting and love Venison but but just like anyone of us hitting a Deer sucks and seeing it suffer sucks even more. The Deer as of this morning is still sitting on the side of Lakeside blvd in Hopatcong in Front of the Civic center right next to the Civic Center sign. Other Drivers also said that there was a Fawn with her but it ran back in the woods and the officers were looking for it.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
glad she is alright! [up]

that dept carries .45?
i was wondering the same thing

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that dept carries .45?
I'm not sure if it is department issued or if he uses his own but I was talking to this officer in the past and he said it was a .45

45's do have knock down power and I am sure they would rather go with Knock down energy rather then a super sonic caliber such as a 9mm which when a perp is hit with a 9mm since the bullet travels so fast it will not knock them down and will actually allow them to shoot back or lung at them where a .45 stores alot of kinetic energy and travels slower then a 9mm which when hit by the .45 you will be thrown to the ground not allowing the per to shoot back.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
45's do have knock down power and I am sure they would rather go with Knock down energy rather then a super sonic caliber such as a 9mm which when a perp is hit with a 9mm since the bullet travels so fast it will not knock them down and will actually allow them to shoot back or lung at them where a .45 stores alot of kinetic energy and travels slower then a 9mm which when hit by the .45 you will be thrown to the ground not allowing the per to shoot back.
Oh boy. Get ready for the ballistic's experts to hijak this thread. You done did it now Sean [hihi][hihi]

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I saw a doe hit on 280, early last month, Knocked the fawn right out of that doe! Thought that was wierd, and a little gross. I'm glad your wife is O.K..

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
Am sure your wife was shook up. Glad she's OK.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
The car can be fixed, good thing your wife is ok. As for .45's, a friend of mine once said that my .45 was too slw and I should have gotten a 9. I told him, "go stand about 30 feet away, and you tell me how slow it is." Superman didn't take me up on my offer.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey are you the one I meet on Rt10 the other day you seen my NJH sticker?
Runum yes that was me I saw on rt 10 nice meeting you.

.45 was too slw and I should have gotten a 9.
The .45 is slower then the 9mm that is why it has more kknock down power the 9mm is so fast it will go right through who or what you shot will know they are shot and could possibly shoot back at you.

The .45 is a heavy bullet that stores alot of energy and upon impact that energy is released immediatly causing who or what you shot to go flying it will knock them right down. The 9mm is smaller and lighter and flys alot fast at super sonic speed causing the bullet to passthrough without much energy released. In a self defense situation the .45 being slower is a good thing and in the end niether bullet will be out run by who is neing shot at.

As for my wife hitting the Deer she is lucky cause the deer flew into the air and almost went into the windshield.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I bet she was shaken. Glad things weren't worse.

Cop sounds like a good guy, too.

I once had a slightly heated encounter with a cop, asking him to shoot a very ill, rabid **** 10ft in front of us one afternoon .... he said he needed to get permission to fire his weapon like that. Same with the Denville police when the bear was laying along Rt46 after being badly mangled.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Tell yor wife she did an amazing job, keeping the car under control, and that there was nothing else she could have done!

Tell you're proud of the way she handled the situation and didn't panic!

Finally, tell her you can always get another car, but you can never replace her! Top it off with I love you very much!

And I bet you get lucky that night!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Glad to hear the Mrs. is ok I am sure she was shaken it is scary when you hit something that large sounds like she is a good driver though.
Alot of the cops that I know up here in GODS country (Sussex County) carry .45's instead of 9mm I have heard it is due to the knock down power which I am sure helps out when they have to dispatch a wounded animal or a furry cuddly harmless bear I don't know much about handguns really but from what i understand the .45's that are out today rarely jam and are as dependable as their 9mm counterparts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.