New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday and Thursday of this week were really special to me. I traveled to PA to hunt turkey with my twin son’s Chris (AKA Hendryhill) and Jason. Since Chris lives close to me, we get to hunt together very often but I don’t get the chance with his brother as he lives 2/12 hours away in Binghamton NY. This trip we used Jason’s house as our base and traveled down to just over the PA state line to join some friends of Chris and Jason’s who would provide the hunting property and serve as our guides and hosts for the two days.

We broke into two three-man teams with each having a guide, a shooter, and a cameraman. Since Jason had never taken a turkey, I went with him hoping to be able to capture and share the moment on video. Our guide and caller was friend Bobby Mathews, known far and wide in the area as dedicated die-hard turkey hunter and caller and all around nice guy. Thursday morning found us set up with a long beard and a Jake on the top on a hill gobbling their heads off. Of course they had to pitch down the hill towards a field and some available ladies so we had to start our mile or so walk to get ourselves into a position where we might be able to get a shot at the big boy.

Bobby told us exactly where he though we had to be if we were to have any chance of getting this bird. With his knowledge of the property, he was able to get us set up just into the woods off of a small field where he thought the birds would be headed. He was dead on, he let out a call and the tom answered him from about 100yards above us at the wood edge of the field. With some sweet-talking from Bobby, the gobbler came in like on a rope. Sitting on my video stool behind and just to the right of Jason, I was able to give him some first time turkey hunter directions and encouragement. With the confidence of an old time turkey hunter, Jason put the bead on the bird’s neck and rolled him at bout 18 yards. Not only was this Jason’s first turkey, he was a nice “swinger” going 18lbs. With a 9” beard and ¾” spurs. Best of all I was there to share the special moment with him and get the whole hunt on video. Chris will post some more photos and the rest of our story some time later today. Nothing is better in my mind than sharing time in the woods with you’re sons. Getting Jason’s first ever turkey just put a little icing on the cake!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I really like the way you told the story dad, I will post some additional photos later on today. I will also send Jason the link of this thread so he can check it out. Nice job guys, I'm really happy that you were there to be with Jay when he harvested his first turkey!!! :D [up]

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Congrats HigGuy to your son and the entire family on sharing in a great moment. Wishing you many more moments like that[up][up][up]

Shoot Straight!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.