New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During Shotgun season I hunted with my deer club. We did pretty good this year. We averaged 15 guys/day. We saw 18 shootable bucks, got shots at 10 of them, and harvested 7 .
Mine was a small 6 pointer that tried to tried to jump a sandy access road in a Cranberry bog. Unfortunatly for him, I was standing there with my 10ga. ready in hand. I caught him in mid air, and at the crack of the gun he flipped, and landed in the middle of the road. Stone dead. The distance was 57yd. That 10ga. can really reach out !! We had a great time and most of all a SAFE time.

Here's my buck.

This is where he landed after the shot.

The hunters and their harvest.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
nice take of deer, congrats to all![up]

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a little less than that. We actually have 20 members. Not all of them were there when the pix was taken. Just a small garage gang that gets together during shotgun week. A real nice bunch of guys.
There's about 7 of us that are getting together Xmas week to drive deer with muzzleloaders. We will be hunting some small pieces of woods that we couldn't take the large group into. Should be interesting ( frustrating ) trying to hit a big buck on the run with a musket :p

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, they're not bad for pine deer. The Big six on the left was running with his twin brother when I saw them. I fired at them to turn them back into the drive. I hit one of them breaking his left front and left rear legs and 2 pellets in his rear. This slowed him down and one of the drivers got him. The other one slipped out of the drive unscathed. When the drivers got to me , they paced off the shot. 95 yds. !! I think some of the boys are putting 10ga.'s on their XMAS lists. I realize that it was too long of a shot, but I did what I wanted to do, turned them back into the drive.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey night,,Is that considered a "road kill"?
Then again if you consider that I shot him in mid air, does that make my 10ga. an " anti-aircraft " gun ?
:D:D
Everybody calls it my CANNON. It weighs 9 3/4 lbs. At the end of the day you don't have to bend over to tie your shoe laces, cause youtr arms will be streched.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are PRIVATE Cranberry and Blueberry farms. We go in and lock the gates behind us. We're the only ones hunting it. A couple of our members are Mamagers for the farms we are hunting. That gets us the access.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts