New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its not really that shiny... the flash caused it. I am doing a test run tonight in my backyard... hopefully catch something...raccoon, squirrel, cat, etc.

I made the whole thing for under $150... including the camera (and shipping costs).

Tomorrow evening I will try to hike into the woods and set it up w/some corn. Need a lock.

Thanks to Double Lunger and his website for the tips & help.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Congrats on your first cam ! Just think no film to buy and no more waiting to see what you have on the camera .

We have also found that the bears do not mess with the digitals like they do to the 35MM . All we can guess is they like the smell of the film .

$150 for a digital trail cam just can not be beat . If you use rechargable batteries it is even cheaper to run .

Once again congrats on your first cam . Now you will have to try a remote slave flash to extend you flash range .

Don

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Drag..trust me this will be the 1st of many...soon your basement will look like mine pieces of cameras everywhere...good luck with wit...it came out good

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Double Lunger - how often do you check your cam? I was thinking I would place mine out tonight... then return tomorrow (after the snow) with my laptop and check the pictures.

Gotta love digital... I can check the photos on spot.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Drag
We have 2 cams out in PA. They get checked once a month.It took about 7days for the deer to find feeders.They were checked on March 6 we only had 2 pictures of a bear 1 picture the bear was laying down right under barrel on top of corn. In Feb.we had a 6ptstare at the feeder for 1hr before starting to feede.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I think you used a 340 ?

One thing you can do is buy extra memory cards and rechargeable batteries . When you go out to check your cam take them out with you . Switch card and batteries then go home and slip the memory card into a card reader . That way you do not have to take the laptop out with you .

Not sure on battery life with that cam . I would say with internals you will get 10 to 14 days . Some of us use external batteries with the Oly cams that will push that close to 30 days .

The Sony cams we know use only has 2 AA internal batteries and we are getting 30 days or around 500 pictures , what ever comes first .

The Sony is an On / Off camera . Meaning once triggered that cam turns on , shutters a picture and then turns off all in about 1.5 seconds .

Here is a Sony P41 and a Pixcontroller LE board in a 1040 I did yesterday for someone . First time I used Camoclad . I would rather buy a camo dipped case . Made a real nice small unit .

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Here is a shelf I built for the above cam . This way you do not have to drill holes in the case to mount the board . I epoxied the bolts in the shelf so they would not turn when you tightened the board nuts .

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a new tactic. When I go out to check my trail cam... I bring along an empty/blank memory stick...and charged rechargable batteries. That way I only have to swap memory cards and batteries... done and done.[up]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts