New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I finally got my first deer which just so happens to be a buck.

This buck is not the biggest deer on earth visually but mentally this deer will be the largest trophy of my life. As some of you have been following, less than a year ago I logged on to here trying to figure out what I needed to do to catch my first fish by boat. At this point in time I had gone through my first deer hunting season with only getting a fast glimpse of one deer. I had no idea what I was doing, and thought I need to buy every commercial gizmo made. I had 3 cameras stolen, an arrow shot at my by an angry man in the woods and I had almost given up on the deer hunting and I had the impression that hunters were jerks that stole whatever they could find.

After many conversations on here a user named Tommy replies to my fishing message and says hey give me a ring I live down in barnegat and maybe I can help you out with the fishing. He coaches me through a few trips without even knowing who I am.

Eventually the bow season comes in and I try as hard as possible to find my first deer. I planted clovers, put out feeders, scouted the woods for anything I could link to a deer, spent hours at the range testing out my firearms / bow. Still I hold in the back of my mind the guys stealing my cameras and wonder if there are any good sportsmen out there.

Early bow and permit bow come and go in my zone and I finally see a few deer, just not close enough for a good shot.

I'll leave the bear hunt story for another time but being tired from long weekend trips tommy, bryan and myself head home after lunch on monday after being able to witness and see first hand a nj bear (thanks rich and melvin).

Tommy calls me and says hey I got a spot I can guarantee you a deer, may not be a buck but theres deer what do you say. I venture out with him and spend hours waiting on top of a ridge overlooking a few fields. An hour before dark we head to check out another field. Out of no where Tommy says "Get Ready!!! Here come some deer across the field. When the lead deer gets into position take her. " Honestly I was so excited I closed the wrong eye while trying to sight the deer through my scope, but finally get a steady position over top of a barbed wire fence and squeeze on the trigger. The deer jumps!!! I am so amazed I just shot my first deer that I stood looking in the same direction (to me it was about 10 min but I think it was only 10 seconds) Tommy says pump the gun and get ready for your next shot!!!! The second shot I clearly missed as I was shaking so bad from the first ( I just couldnt believe I was having the oppurtunity). The deer eventually pops up about 50 yards down the trail we were standing in, and tommy says hey put the deer down as soon as it turns broadside and with that my first deer harvest. I can't explain the pounding I had in my heart for at least 20 min after the first shot, I can't explain the pounding that returned when I found out it was my first buck. It was only a spike but it was my first deer!!!

I don't know if I can ever return the same degree of a favor that Tommy brought for me but if it means anything, you'll be in my hunting stories for the rest of my life!!! You'll be in stories for my children and grandchildren and hopefully theres as well.

By the way another buck ran in after I shot mine and Tommy was able to harvest a six pointed shown below.

My views of hunters the way they were last year are no more. Thanks Tommy for making it a memorable experience!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Good On Ya Mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![up][up]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Tommy that is a pretty Six too![up]

Your a heck of a guy helping him get his first Deer![up]

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Awesome story and congrats to both of you. Hopefully some time in the future, you'll be able to show/help some youngster the way Tommy did for you.

And BTW, if you guys would be willing to share this location where a hunter is guarateed to shoot a deer, let me know. I'll be more than happy to take a trip to see it :D LOL.

David

·
Registered
388 Posts
This story made me really happy! I cant wait to get my first deer, I can only imagine how great you must feel, beaming with pride and all. [up]

·
11,226 Posts
Congrats Dennis!!!!! Man look at that snow!!! What did you take that deer with....An axe??? ;) Awesome job man!!![up]

Nice 6 Tommy! Good things come to good people! You guy's did good![up]

Great pic's!..Great story![up]

·
Registered
942 Posts
By the way guys denny made a great shot..First shot 75 yards over a rock wall and barb wirer fence ,heart shot .....When the deer came down to were we were it was a dead deer walking, but I told him put another one in him at 50 yards...Both were good shots...[up]I was so glad I was able to be a part of it...[up]

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just went back and read some of my first posts in april, from fishing to deer hunting I've learned alot in the last year. Thanks guys for all the help!!

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Great story and pictures.. Great memories and great friends for life. Way to go!!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Awesome story, and a friend for life. Let this be a lesson for those who are new to this Heritage, there good sportsman and then there is someone like Tommy!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts