New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Congrats on your kill! Would love to hear more about the hunt.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Congrats! Nothing like bow.....especially the first.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took him at 4:00pm on Friday from the ground, I was walking to my stand in 3M Orange county, more of a scouting trip for Saturday's rifle opener than a hunt. I jumped a couple does and watched them run, took a knee, waited about 5 minutes hit the estrus bleat for the heck of it, saw a few more does feeding below the ridge. I heard a branch snap behind me an there he is 30 yards broadside, uphill. Ever so slightly quartering towards me. A shot I won't take again.

He he mule kicked at the shot, walked slowly, dropped 20 yards further away behind a down tree. He didn't die quickly it was a long wait and I didn't want to leave him. One I was afraid to push him if I moved and two there are yotes and bear all over this property. It was a long wait and a late night. I got a pass through shooting up hill so it took one lung and exited back high in the gut. I've been very patient all season passing better bucks and I feel like I rushed this shot. I think because I didn't expect him, didn't get to watch him come in, instinct took over. All ended well enough, I learned some thing and he's in the freezer.

Saturday with the rifle I didn't see a deer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.