New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So….I had class in the am but I had off of work for the holiday so I went hunting of course. I got into the stand around 3:45ish. I was kind of feeling that because of the cloudy day I wasn't going to see anything but surely enough I was dead wrong. While I was texting an old buddy of mine from North Carolina about his deer season over there, THIS buck walks in at 4:50pm. He crosses right in front of me out of nowhere like a ghost and stands broadside at 12 yards. I waited for him to stop and I hit him right behind the shoulder. I got a full pass through and there was a huge hole. He was dumping blood like somebody was dumping paint out of a can. He went down 60 yards from my stand. He acted like he didn't even know what happened. He bolted hard for 20 yards then slowed to a walk while pooring blood. He was huge bodied 7 pointer. He seemed to be really old because he had no teeth. I'll put pics of the blood trail and the buck below. I used a 2000 Hoyt Turbo tech xt #62lbs and a Rage broad head (I don't normally use rages but I forgot my muzzy's at home) I'm waiting for some grim reapers from Cabela's. It took me 2 hours to drag him out of the property I hunt the old fashioned way and I feel I definitely earned him.This is my first antlered deer EVER and I'm glad I did it with a bow. I think I'll call him "The Columbus Buck".

Happy Hunting,
Erick23

Attachments

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Congrats! Atta way to get it done!

Reactions: Erick23

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Good story and a great first for you![up]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice!!!!!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Great!!! What an awesome feeling!!! Congrats !!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Congrats and good shot. You seem to bounce around a bit broadhead wise. Make sure you check em out by shooting every time. The teeth thing. Deer as well as other animsls including sheep n such have no top teeth. If you look at where they've browsed they leave drag marks where the bark hangs from pulling with one set of teeth in the front. So if that's what you're referring to it's normal

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Congrats ! It almost sounds like you might be convinced that Rage's work lol. I've been on the fence about trying them, definitely a huge hole

1 - 20 of 69 Posts