New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the accident posts going up I thought I would add mine. Nov 28th of 2008 I was heading home from work on 202 from Mahwah to Oakland.Not even 2 miles down 202 I hit a huge deer(they all look huge in that situation) it came out over the guardrail out of some heavy brush and was IMMEDIATLY HIT BY ME. No time to react at all,couldn't see it because it was dark. the ooficer and I never found the deer I think when i hit it and it went back over the guardrail it landed in the heavy brush and we couldn't get to it.Luckily a gentleman near greenwood lake had everything I needed to fix my jeep for $240.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I can share pictures if required, but mine happened 2 years ago. Get this...I was a 1/4 mile from where I turn onto a private road to do my bow hunting and a few does crossed the road at an hour before sunrise. They all crossed and were maybe 15 feet off the shoulder on the grass. It's a bumpy road and I slowed to maybe 15 MPH. This one doe decides to do an about face and runs right into the passenger side of my truck's door. Again, I am basically coasting on this bumpy road and going no more than 15 MPH and this doe hit hard enough it shook my Tahoe. Put a nice indentation in the passenger door (about 2 inches pushed in by 2ft by 2ft. Truck is 11 years old and not worth fixing. I hunted that morning for 4 hours and saw no deer. When driving home, there was no deer within 100 yards of where she hit me. I was thinking about a quick roadkill (recovery)...[smirk]

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The deer either died in the same thick brush he came out of ,or hauled tail to NY state.(not far from ny state at all)

I just went into the 45 mph zone and checked the speed I was doing.I was crusing at 40,so I just sat back to enjoy the raidio and ride home. the poof out of the brush it came.I felt the thud and it jerked my jeep a bit and I seen the tail end of it literly flying into the brush.But by the tail I would say a nice sized one.

I am lucky that it didn't do damage to me or more to the jeep.I got off easy,so many more don't.Now my wife wants me to get a compact,you can imagine what i tell her about that.Currently I am looking at a 94 cherokee for parts to fix mine up proper. then a brush guard.Then again maybe the brush guard first,a nice southern style home built one!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts