New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok at Matty's request.

2 years ago my buddy did a trip to Idaho to hunt Elk / Mulies.

So when they got there and got there permits, they were told that a Mt. Lion permit is included. Ok...whatever.

That night they decide to just walk a little, see what they can see for the weeks hunt. My buddy heads to a ridge that he liked and sat down at the base of a huge pine tree. He sits for an hour or so, but is not really happy with the view of the ridge that he has, so he decides to move about 50 yards or so.

30 minutes after he moved, he catches movement back the way he came. The lion came climbing down the same pine tree he was sitting under. The cat slinked down, and circled the tree, keeping a profile of not more than 6-10" above the ground, you know how cats do this... As the big cat rounded the tree, it looked directly at my buddy. Luckly my buddy was looking back through his scope and he squeezed off the shot. The cat jumped 6-8 feet straight up and took off like a shot into a dark pine thicket. After a wait my buddy walked down to the tree and blood trailed the cat to the edge of this thicket. At this point, he radioed the other guys and decided that he was not going in after the cat alone, or until tomorrow when there was full light!

Cat weighed 117 lbs and is now a full body mount in his den. He also connected on a 5X5 elk on this trip. Taxidermy bill cost more than the whole trip.

-dan

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, it is even better when my buddy tells it in person. His eyes still get really big, like they must have when he was there.

-dan

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing it Dan.[up][up]

Like I said before, big cats scare the heck out of me....They just seem so silent and spooky.:eek:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, and to think, they are the next natural predator to start being seen in NJ. They are in NY, PA, MD... only a matter of time with our deer pop that we have a real population.

Hopefully by then we can get a carry permit, but I doubt it.
-dan

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Cool story. Always wanted to go for cougar.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Cool story. Hunter being the hunted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts