New Jersey Hunters banner

My bears dissappeared!

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  KidRipley 
#1 ·
Had bears coming everyday until thanksgiving day. I had 3 different bears coming. Thanksgiving day neighboring property pheasant hunted a swamp land where I thought the bears were coming from and I have not got a picture since. Granted I changed bait from donuts to bagels because I couldnt get any donuts and I put out hard corn instead of mollasses mix because feed store was closed. Are any of these possible reasons. Put out molasses feed today with blueberrys, bacon strips, maple syrup, and grease. Any chance of the bears returning?

#6 ·
The other thing to wory about is the cold snap. With the cold weather moving in, many bears will hit the den. Though since you say it's been dry since turkey day, I doubt the cold has to do with your problem.

I had the same problem last season. Literaly 2 weeks before bear season, a bait station with 6 good bear hitting it daily dried up-1st only one or two bears hit the bait at night, and then within a week of the season all activity stopped and the bait sat untouched. Turns out 3 other guys set out bait and started tromping through the area two weeks before the season-by the time the season rolled around-the bears had had enough of the tromping and left for greener pastures. (come to think of it, the one guy did bait with bagels-the other with dog food)

#9 ·
mine too...but i always have been baiting with bagels and rolls with grease poured over the top and they kill it..i refreshed my bait yesturday. i usally get pics within 12 hours...nothing yet!..i plan if they hit it today go back saturday a load it up to keep them there to monday..my bears were always within 100 yards off the bait..no as of now nothing[confused]

#10 ·
It is normal for bears in NJ to begin denning by now, so that by next week, many of our bears are in their dens. This is why states like PA hold an earlier bear season than we do. It is something the Division is well aware of and plans to correct in future years, but we have to fight all the antis first just to hold a hunt annually.

#11 ·
Yeah just weird how they alldenned up at same time they were 3 sepwrate bears? Im pretty sure its not another baitbpile but i think its because the pheasant hunters marched all over the thick nasty wood/swampland they come from im hoping they return bowhunting tomorrow hopefukly shoot a doe and can leave deer guts out and if anythings left thatll bring em in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.