New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was in my stand at 6:15am and hoping like hell that I would see the Monster Buck I have been after for 3 years. It was very cold but sunny with no wind.
At about 5 minutes to 9 I heard some heavy crashing thru the thick area ahead of me but to my right. I had a good feeling it was a big buck chasing a doe. To my surprise I saw a very dark object at roughly 100 yards coming towards me. I knew it was a bear at this point but wanted to make sure it was not a cub.
It came within 30 yards and stopped. I knew at this point it was at least a 250 pound bear so I took the shot. I hit it directly where I needed to hit it and was in shock to see it flip over and get back up and start to run. I shot again and hit it 3 inches further back and it fell on a log and I thought it was going to expire. To my amazment the bear got up again and I shot and missed. I then called in on the radio that I hit a bear and heard it crash in a thicket roughly 150 yards away. 20 minutes past and my firends arrived and we started tracking. We found lots of blood which made it easy to follow in the snow. Once we reaced the thicket I told my friend to go to the other side incase it came out. I followed the blood into the thicket and I suddenly saw a bears face 10 feet from me which startled me. He then got up and turned to run and I shot him in the shoulder. He came out of the thicket and then expired. It was a once in a lifetime experience for me and I will never forget that drag out of the woods. It makes dragging a deer out seem like childs play.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Congrats on your bear! But man, be careful! Chasing in after a wounded bear can turn real ugly, real fast. Give him a little more time next time! ;)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Congratulations, what a hunt!!!!!! but like bowhunterNJ stated be carefull next time. Usually when a Bear expires you will hear a death groam, something you will never forget. All four Bears that I have shot in Canada gave me the death groam.[up]

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
congrats, just awesome. im so jealous of you clowns who got bears.. we need more bears in middlesex co hahahah. congrats man,

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Are you going to eat that?

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I will eat it as I dont believe in killing it just for the sake of killing it.

As for the death groan it was the worst thing I have ever heard and it is the sadest part of the whole hunt.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
What a hunt brother! You will never forget that! CongrTs!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Congrats again Dave![up][up]

G

·
Dave, congrats nice bear!!!![up], and to think, you almost didn't get your permit:p....Will you be doing any type of mount?

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Beutifull bear Dave,congrats and you'll be proud till death on that one. Thats something to remember. May you be blessed with many more.Death is never pretty with any animal thats not quick.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Will you be doing any type of mount?
Get this! He was gonna go the cheap route and get a rug made, his wife wants a full body mount! Can you believe it? I was there when she said it, I almost passed out!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone. I plan on just doing a rug. I would hang the rug in a specail frame and mout the whole deal on the wall. I couldn't believe the wife wanted a full mount either as she won't even let me hang any deer mounts anywhere except the basement :(

As for my Permit, I came home from hunting monday night and going thru the stack of bills on the counter and found the permit in with all the bills[cool] I asked the Ball & Chain how it got in with the bills and she said "I didn't put it there"......
I just kept my mouth shut as I was just happy to have it.

As for the experience....I have always prided myself in being an excellent Marksmen. So when I shoot a deer I never need to take a second shot. After the experience I had with the big 9pt I shot with OO Buck many years ago, I vowed never to have to take more than one shot to harvest an animal. Well I did my best to make the first shot perfect on this bear and ended up 2 inches to far forward. The second shot was 2 inches to far back. If I had remembered what they had said in the seminar 2 years ago I would have moved my original shot back a tiny bit and he would have dropped in his tracks. What I witnessed at the end of this bears life I will NEVER forget. It is pretty hard to describe the sounds but I can tell you it is SAD. :(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.