New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my 6 day sucked. Here is how it went.

Monday: Never made it out. Sunday my wife's Explorer blew it's transmission on the Parkway. Ford could not tow it because their trucks are not permitted on the Parkway. So I wanted over an hour for a state tow to arrive. We tried to drop the car off at 2 Ford dealers and they were all closed so I had to leave at a friends shop. That being said, I had to take care of the car on Monday. Opening day was shot.

Tuesday: Went hunting with my dad, however, he could only go in the afternoon. Well, I was getting ready to go and I realized I didn't have my bear tag. You guessed it, I had left it in the Explorer that went to Ford. I go to the dealership and the Explorer went to the transmission shop. So I want to pick up my dad and stopped in Paterson at the transmission shop and we were off to Frelinghuysen. We got there about 1:30. I sent my dad to the far side of a think swamp that the deer hide in and was was going to push the swamp. It was a good idea, but my dad had never been to this side of the swamp before. Well no deer went that way. We he got to the spot I wanted him at and I pushed right through the swamp. This produced about 8 deer but they were too far for my dad's 000 buckshot. After we met back up we decided to sit along the fields. At about 430 I decided to walk and jumped 1 small doe. Having only the muzzleloader it was a no shot. Deer for the day: dad 8, me 1.

Wednesday: I met up with a buddy of mine and his father at White Lake WMA. My buddy came out from Ill. I haven't been there in 5 years so I was looking foreward to it. I walk between corn fields to a ledge over looking a watering hole. A lot of tracks and I figured it would be a good spot. Well about 715 I hear a shot come from a knoll 200 yards from me. About 2 minutes later another shot from the same area. About 5 minutes later a 3rd shot followed by a growl. A guy from Vermont had shot a bear that had been walking towards me about 150 yards from me. It had not yet passed the bend where I would have seen it. Needless to say I was disappointed and figures no deer or bears were in the area any longer. So I decided to walk. I followed at least 5 different sets of bear tracks. They either lead me to private property, parking lots, or old hunter tracks where I would loose them. Around 12 we decide to head over to Whittingham WMA. We found deer tracks but that was it. Out of 3 guys not one of us saw a deer.

Thursday and Friday: Obligations at home kept me there.

Saturday: Met my dad at the property around 630. He went to the spot by the swamp where he saw the deer on Tuesday. I was heading to the other side but had to p [no swearing please] another hunter so I went to the fields and watched for a while. I got cold about 9 and decided to walk and found numerous bear tracks. I followed on set that seemed to go on forever. I noticed another set that led into the thick thickets and circled the thickets. No tracks, but deer tracks coming out. He was still in there. I get my dad on the radio to see if he wanted to try to push the thinket. He said he was waiting for the drive to start on the ajoining property. So I dececide to walk some more. I spotted 3 deer. I scoped 1, took the safety off, and decided not to shoot. The scope said it was a clear shot, but my eyes said there were little branches. So I met up with dad and he saw 4 when he first walked in. We attempted som little pushes, but no deer. I found 1 gut pile. We decided to try to push out that bear. I sat on the other side of the thicket and my dad followed the tracks. He could only get in about 100 feet before in got too thick. Amazing how those large animals can get into the thickest of places. However he did find where it had been. Numerous smal trees snapped in half. After a couple more pushes we left around 2. Deer seen: dad 4, me 3.

On a side note, I had dropped off my slug gun at Paterson Gunsmithing for my scope to me remounted and boresighted around Nov. 3. He said it would be done my Nov. 20. Well is still isn't done as of now. So all I had was the muzzleloader. I was hoping to get out during the extended season. I this point, I think I will just stick with the muzzleloader and fore go the permit shotgun.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, but you have 2 bucks.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
It aint over till its over Mike. Theres still plenty of deer out there! Go get one![up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have almost 2 months left. I'll get one. I may even try to get one with the bow during winter bow. Never tried it before.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It still sounds like a pretty good week of hunting...Some time spent with family and friends in the outdoors is awesome!!!
I just came across this Jim. You always look at the positives don't you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.