New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the appropriate place for the post, but I was looking for recommendations on muzzleloaders to hunt deer. I have a Remington 11-87 with a rifled cantilever barrel and a smoothbore, and I was looking to expand my firearm season into muzzleloader.

I've been hunting and shooting in NJ for over 10 years and thought now would be a good time to foray into black powder.

·
Banned
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any particular models better than others? Thomson/Center Arms seems to be advertised all over the place and the muzzleloaders they sell are relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Prohunter

·
Registered
637 Posts
Geez guys ... no recommendations for REAL black powder?

How about a nice Armi-Sport 1861 Springfield .... still get rifed barrel and adjustable sites and at .58 cal packs a heck of a wallop. Thousands of dead civil war soldiers wish it was used for deer hunting instead.

How about a nice flintlock British smoothbore? No rifed barrel but at .69 cal .... get in a little closer and it will drop on the spot.

Heck ... if you insist on T/C ... how about a good old standard Hawkin?

I admit I took my CVI Hunterbolt out on the first day but after the it has been the Lyman sidelock.

Look them all over ... black powder is varied and up to personal tastes and styles .... modern or old school .... they are all fun .... and addictive.

Have fun .... most important.

·
Banned
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll probably stick with a modern to start, something affordable to get me into the game and easy to maintain. Once I get the hang of it I'll probably look to expand.

·
Banned
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, and one other thing: I was wondering if I could take my NJ FID card into PA and buy the gun at Cabela's (since we won't have one in NJ anytime soon) and register (if I absolutely have to) it when I return.

Can I legally do this?

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Oh, and one other thing: I was wondering if I could take my NJ FID card into PA and buy the gun at Cabela's (since we won't have one in NJ anytime soon) and register (if I absolutely have to) it when I return.

Can I legally do this?
You don't need a NJ FPID in PA to buy a muzzleloader. Just buy the muzzleloader like you would buy a pack of gum.

No need to "register" it in NJ.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Good does not always equal expensive and expensive does not always equal good.

A lot of good sales right now on modern stuff for end of the year .... Cabelas had a nice T/C or $149 and I saw some break action at Wally World on clearance for $129 ... both of these had me tempted ....

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have also been looking since I have been borrowing guns all year. T/C pro hunter fx is sweet. The only thing is you cannot change the barrels

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
You don't need a NJ FPID in PA to buy a muzzleloader. Just buy the muzzleloader like you would buy a pack of gum.

No need to "register" it in NJ.
Well that is partially correct. If the muzzleloader (T/C Encore) as an example which can be easily converted to a centerfire rifle by swapping over the counter barrels, no gunsmithing involved, you will need your FIDC to purchase it an PA or NY.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Well that is partially correct. If the muzzleloader (T/C Encore) as an example which can be easily converted to a centerfire rifle by swapping over the counter barrels, no gunsmithing involved, you will need your FIDC to purchase it an PA or NY.
True 'dat...needed my card to purchase an Encore at Cabela's a few years back

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
A couple of my brothers shoot the CVA Optima. Both have the camo stock and stainless steel fluted barrel, you can usually find one for $300-325. Nice looking gun and shoots very well too. You'll enjoy muzzy, I didn't even take my slug gun out of the safe this year.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts