New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for some assistance. Been hunting with my TC Bone Collector for 3 years. Love the gun, never had any issues. After last hunting season, I cleaned and stored it away. Took it out last Saturday and pulled the trigger on a doe - misfire. Luckily, I remember someone telling me before that if that happens to pull the trigger again. I was lucky, it fired and I killed the doe. I'm planning on cleaning again before going back out. Should I dry fire it a couple of times with only a primer after I clean it or does anyone have other suggestions. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Yes, always dry fire one cap after cleaning pointed at the ground.
It will ensure that the barrel is clear of any debris (cleaning patch material) and it will blow out any oil or residue in the nipple.

The Hunter Ed instructors will have you fire a cap prior to loading as well, at least I do.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, appreciate the advice. So going forward, I should dry fire after cleaning and then again before loading in the field.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
So going forward, I should dry fire after cleaning and then again before loading in the field.
no! fire a cap before loading and heading to the field. the rifle should be stored clean. I shoot a cap off in my garage (with hearing protection on) before loading and going into the field. the reason for this to blow out any oil left in the nipple or breach plug. as long as you get ignition and flame or pressure shooting out of the muzzle you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Correct. I should clarify myself better, I speaking about cleaning the muzzleloader in between hunts or at the range for target practice. One time dry fire is all you need to do before loading.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
I use a torch tip cleaner for the hole . after you clean it and get ready to store it I run the tip cleaner thryu and look at it in the light. see light it will fire. you could be leaving oil or crude in the hole.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Correct me if I'am wrong but did the cap go off on the first trigger pull? and you replaced the cap? or did you just re cock and pull again?
If you just re cocked the gun- it wouldnt be a charge issue but a bad cap/primer maybe??

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
probably a cleaning issue. either crud in the firing pin action (brake cleaner) or a dirty breech plug. Carbon builds up in the flame channel and can be a chore to clean. mix a small batch of homemade cleaner in a 1-1-1 ratio of rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and Murphys oil soap. and soak the breech plug in it for a few hours to overnight. (the foaming of the peroxide does wonders) I soak it in a large pill bottle or small jar, just bigger than the plug. then twist by hand a drill bit into the primer end. sometimes in extreme cases, a smaller pilot bit makes things easier. The flash channel requires either an 1/8 inch or a 3mm, If I remember right TC is 1/8. Since the primer went off second try, it doesn't seem like a dud primer. (which truthfully is extremely rare) its probably a mechanical or fouling issue

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I will dry fire in the field and then load. Easy solution. I'll never make that mistake again. LOL!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thats how I read your first post.. But everyone was answering you as blocked nipple or crud..
If the cap/primer didnt ignite there was no chance for the charge to go off??
Being it worked the second time I would have to say Cap/primer wasn't struck hard enough? Bad? or not seated all the way?
Not familiar with your model but I will look it up..

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I recocked and pull the trigger again and it fired
Your problem has nothing to do with your gun, its your primers. You had a bad primer

If you pulled the trigger and the primer went off but the gun didnt fire, then it would be an issue with a bad charge or dirty breech plug etc. But it was the primer that failed you not your gun.

If your primers are old I would mark them as range use only, and get yourself some new primers to hunt with. Because from here on out your going to be wondering in the back of your mind is thing going to fire or not?

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
The main reason to pop a primer is to first make sure the barrel isn't clogged and second to blow out anything in the priming hole. There isn't enough of anything to foul your barrel also it somewhat insures your going to get the powder damp because of oil, or what ever you may have in there. I'll fire one at home and some times one at the lot if I'm hunting pm. Like splitlimb said, Nothing worse than a doubt in your mind.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
If its the TC bone collector like I have, the breech plug is SS and does not need to be oiled, only grease the threads.
If it doesnt have the removable breech, then you need to dry fire.

Since you did not indicate that the primer was replaced, it appears that either the gun was not "Losked" or the primer was not great.

Did the first primer fire?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ya I see that the Bone Collector use 209 primers. I vote bad primer- there cheap get some new ones..
Not that a dirty breech plug/barrel was your problem and maybe you do this? but after cleaning I run a dry patch-
and I store gun overnight barrel down so IF by chance any oil/solvent is left behind it will run out of the barrel..

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Not sure if your firearm is using a #11 nipple...Mine does and this my recipe...
I always pour a couple of grains down the barrel, pop a cap before loading and heading out.
Clears the touch hole for sure.
Load the gun and put "pinch" of powder in the nipple prior to capping, this a good practice that works for me.
Adds a little "zip" to the cap.
GET NEW CAPS AND KEEP THEM DRY...
Good luck, hunt safe.[up]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts