New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started muzzleloading hunting last year. I love it and still learning. I have a question on pellets. I have a TC Bone Collector and use 2 pellets. When I am done hunting for the day, should I discard those pellets or can I reuse them? I hear different people say you should not resue because of condensation, etc. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Speaking for myself once I load my MZ for hunting I leave it loaded until I get a shot or the season ends, never had a problem in over 25 years. Once loaded I never bring it in the house, it stays outside in the shed.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Watch out for moisture in the pellets if you leave in a shed. Bring inside when in between hunts. I left mine in my shed for a hunting season and didn't fire because the pellets absorbed moisture outside in a cold shed.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
if it rains at all when you hunt shoot it at the end of the day.. i myself found out after keeping a rubber over the barrel and a cover over the breech area,, at the end of the day i went to shoot it and the primers went off ,but the powder had gooten wet. if i placed it in my car and then home, whose to say the moist powder would carrode the chamber . then if i did try to fire it on a later hunt the moist powder would not fire in the feild on that hunt..

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Watch out for moisture in the pellets if you leave in a shed. Bring inside when in between hunts. I left mine in my shed for a hunting season and didn't fire because the pellets absorbed moisture outside in a cold shed.
Extreme temperature changes is what causes condensation, ie; going from the cold to a warm home. Leave it cased in the shed or unheated garage and condensation will not be a problem.

if it rains at all when you hunt shoot it at the end of the day..
I'll pull the ball and dump the powder if it's after a downpour and the rifle gets wet, if it stays dry under my waxed sleeve I'll leave it loaded. I'll check the prime every half hour or so for dampness during a wet hunt. Again never had a problem.

Forgot to mention, barrel preperation is key before loading prior to a hunt. I run a clean patch thru the bore, then pour alcohol down the barrel, dump and dry with a few patches. let sit for a while with the muzzle down, run another dry patch, verify it's dry, load and I'm set.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I unload put charge in plastic bag .do not put fingers on charge.Use pipe cleaner.keeping a loaded gun of any kind is a bad idea .You never know may pick it up or who may try to double load the gun .Then you need a nice dry ammo box to hold and store every thing.[smoke]

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I load fresh pellets every time. I used to be all like hey they're still good and it's a waste to throw them out, and then one day I took aim at a nice buck and I didn't get a chance to shoot. But later when I got to the car and removed the breech plug, the pellets had turned into sludge. So I'm really glad I didn't get a chance to shoot the buck because if I did I would have heard the primer going off and that would have been it.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
just leave it loaded it will fire when you need to, also its fine to take inside between hunts. Look its foggy and raining outside right now. There is 100% humidity outside, and inside the house there is 21% humidity. You tell me what is a better atmospheric condition.

·
Registered
431 Posts
mikec is right on the money. If you do not have an 'outside' storage place, though, there is a trick that works quite well I used when I lived in an apartment. I would sock the gun an then put it in a hard-sided foam-filled case after hunting. You could then bring the firearm inside as the padding of the case insulates the gun and brings it back up to temperature very slowly and prevents condensation...easiest solution, though....keep in in the garage, shed, etc.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I load my flintlock the night before the season opens and unload when I have a deer in front of me. When I'm not hunting, I keep it locked in my shed with a small feather plugging the vent.

The only exception is if I hunt in heavy rain...then I pull the ball and dump the powder, mainly because the tow wadding I use absorbs a lot of moisture and I worry about it causing a rust ring in the barrel. When hunting in the rain, I keep the muzzle pointed down and the lock under my arm.

Modern "muzzleloaders" are much easier to keep dry than a flintlock.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Extreme temperature changes is what causes condensation, ie; going from the cold to a warm home. Leave it cased in the shed or unheated garage and condensation will not be a problem.
mikec-I had a big problem when I left it in my cold shed over the winter. Pellets got moist and corroded the crap our of my breech and barrel. I will never leave it out again. Now I bring in the house every time and leave in the case so it slowly comes up to room temp.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
mikec-I had a big problem when I left it in my cold shed over the winter. Pellets got moist and corroded the crap our of my breech and barrel. I will never leave it out again. Now I bring in the house every time and leave in the case so it slowly comes up to room temp.
Hey if it works for you go with it. I can only speak for myself and how I have been doing it for the past 25+ years with no issues to speak of using traditional muzzleloaders and real blackpowder. Going from a warm temp to cold does not cause condensation so your safe there.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
if i am going out again within a couple weeks remove the cap and leave the powder and bullet. that is leaglly unloaded in NJ.
If I am not hunting for a while I push the bullet and charge out. I save both and seperate from the new stuff. I will use the old bullets and powder for range time! never noticed the difference just being cautious.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
i myself found out after keeping a rubber over the barrel and a cover over the breech area,, at the end of the day i went to shoot it and the primers went off ,but the powder had gooten wet.
Missed a deer at 20 yds last week, powder didn't fire. cause I didn't change the charge after the rain. even though I had the muzzle covered with a balloon and the action covered and protected. Aftr changing the the garbage I redeemed myself the next day. When in doubt, throw it out.[patcheye]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.