New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my new Knight yesterday... came home... disassembled the gun... and began to clean.

Man, its a mess. I am using Knight's solvent... but there is still some black stuff that I cannot seem to remove. Right now the breech plug is soaking in Knight's solvent.

Any tips?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Drag- Hot soapy water in the bath tub, as hot as you can get it. Lay the barrel or whole gun in the tub. Let soak about ten minutes. Run bore brush through the barrel 6 or 7 times. Rinse with plain old hot water. Now repeat barrel with cleaning solvent, then the old patch game until dry. Then I fire a primer or two just to be sure it is dry. After that I give it a good coating of oil on th eexterior parts and a good coat of bore butter down the barrel.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I think I cleaned the gun fairly well. I spent a lot of time doing it. However, its not perfect... there is still a couple of black smudges on the breech plug that I cannot remove no matter how much I scrub.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I just use hot soapy water and a cut piece of sweat pants. I would never use a borebrush in it... with a smokepole you need to season it for it shoot the best. T/C also makes a good cleaner too. If you can't take out your breachplug then just take out the nipple and then put some cleaning water (hot soapy water) down the muzzle and work it with the ramrod.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
My method sounds strange but having Thompson Ctr in my backyard(20 miles), I know a few folks that work there. They told me this years ago and to date no issues with my muzzleloader. Then again I shoot a mossberg 500 with the muzzleloader barrel. I can remove the barel and clean the barrel only in the tub.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
JUST SHOOT TRIPLE SEVEN THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SWAB A COUPLE OF TIMES WITH THOMPSON BORE CLEANER RUN SOME SEASONED PATCHES THROUGH THE BORE AND YOU ARE DONE TAKES ME ABOUT TEN TO FIFTEEN MINUTES TO CLEAN MY OMEGA NO FUSS NO MESS NO BATHTUB WITH HOT SOAPY WATER. [up] :D

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Drag,
Check out this site. Anything and everything you could imagine about M/Ler's is discussed here... inlines, traditionals, flintlock, smokeless, powder/bullet combos. It's a great site even if you just lurk:D
Jim B.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Ooops forgot to paste it: http://wolfhound.proboards27.com/index.cgi
Also becareful with the triple seven. It's more potent than Pyrodex. Some guys complain of a crud ring developing with the use of T777. I've never used it so I can't say for sure. I use a citrus based cleaner and I let my breech plug soak in it before scrubbing it with a stiff bristle nylon brush. I have a small compressor that I blow of all gun parts with during the cleaning process. Don't forget to coat the threads of your breech plug with a good anti-seize grease before reinstalling it. You don't need to crank it real tight either. Just snug is sufficient.
Jim B.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts