New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah... I know about the little protector shield you have to get to protect the scope from the powder/burn... but do you mount a "shotgun" scope... or a regular "rifle" scope on a muzzleloader?

Please advise. Its a Knight.

B

·
0 Posts
Drag, you have almost the same set up as I do, and for me I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 on mine, it goes for $200, and its a dam great scope!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about taking my rifle and muzzleloader to the range in PA this weekend. But then I would have to leave my guns in the trunk while I attend Nascar on Sunday.

NO WAY.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
With todays quality scopes you can use either a rifle or shotgun. The recoil will not damage any properly made rifle scope.

The issue you should be adressing between between a rifle vs shotgun scope concerns your expectations as to the ranges you expect to be using the muzzleloader.
The major difference between todays rifle and shotgun scopes is their paralax adjustments. Shotgun scopes are adjusted for either 50 or 75 yds in most cases, where as rifle scopes are usually adjusted to at least a 100yds.
All else being equal, go with a shotgun scope if you plan on keeping your shots under 100yds, or go with a rifle scope if you plan on most of your shots being 100yds+.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I would definitely go with a shotgun, instead of a rifle scope, assuming that you can find one with the features/price you want.

My preference would be Leupold VX-II shotgun in 1-4x20 or 2-7x33.

If money is an issue I think the VX-I, (available in the same powers), would work just about as well.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a freak when it comes to cleaning my muzzleloader... I take it all apart.. blah blah blah... and soak the barrel in the bath tub.

Here's a question. What about the scope? Do I have to take it off every time? How does that work? Are these stupid questions? I have a Knight.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
No stupid question here, I am not familiar with Knight though....

If you do need to remove the scope to clean it, or if it would just make it much easier, then you only have one good choice....Quick release mount and scope rings. You will be able to easily remove and remount the scope while maintaining its zero.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Well Drag...

With that muzzleloader, your only getting that one shot. That means that you must be very selective with your shots if you plan on being consistently succesful.
I would not recomend taking shots unless you have the time to get a good site picture through a scope.
I think you will have no problem shooting a well scoped rig as well if not better than one with see through rings..

From what you have suggested so far this would be one of my number one suggestions as far as scopes....

Leupold Vx-i 1-4x20mm Shotgun/muzzleloader.... 176$

http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/store/products/productDisplay~manufacturer~LEUPOLD~model~Leupold VX-I 1-4x20mm Shotgun/Muzzleloader~affcode~froogleundefined~keyword~499357.htm?&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=Froogle

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I've got a 3 X 9 Bushnell on mine also--and with my T/C I have dropped deer crisply at 170 yds.

:D

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
All my other scopes are Leupolds but for the smoke pole I went with a Simmons..[down] Don't do it! Spend the extra $ on a better scope. My .54 cal cracked the optics. POS

1 - 17 of 17 Posts