New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to move a stand this morning for a hunt in the next day or two. I found a couple of bodies while tip toeing thru the tulips.
The first was a guy taking a nap at the base of his stand, he never heard me, his Switchback sure looked good.

I saw some buzzards taking off, so I headed over to their landing zone and found a 22" eight point, looked about a week dead. Had to go back to my vehicle and get the camera and tripod for a decent pic.

You can see the buzzard poop on him

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
looks like another flat rack Jim.

i don't see any buzzard marks on it.[confused]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were there any arrow (or bullet) "holes" in the deer?
There was a p [no swearing please] thru and by the angle, I'd say, the arrow caught him right in front of the ham and quartered foward and out the front shoulder. The ham hole was higher, so that's why I believe it entered there.
You sure he was just napping??
LOL, yeah, at first bad thoughts went thru my brain, but he had made a pillow and everything laid out real orgainized. I don't know why he'd sleep at the base of his stand and get it at scented up?
i don't see any buzzard marks on it.
Those white spots are poop, the opposite eyeball was ate out, as was his azz.[down]

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Littlelou hunts in Zone 51 I think maybe that was him sleeping by the stand ?? Man that would have freaked me out seeing that. I am sure someone is losing sleep after losing that deer he was a nice looking buck![down] Search for your deer people if you feel it was a good shot don't give up!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What county is zone is 51 in? I'm not familiar with all the zones yet... where can I get a map of them? NJFishandWildlife??
Monmouth county, plenty of open land. Turkey Swamp(zone16), Shark River Park(zone 51, Allaire(zone 51, Manasquan Track(zone 51), Assunpink(zone 15), etc.
Littlelou hunts in Zone 51 I think maybe that was him sleeping by the stand ?? Man that would have freaked me out seeing that. I am sure someone is losing sleep after losing that deer he was a nice looking buck! Search for your deer people if you feel it was a good shot don't give up!
He was a nice meaty buck, 'bout 135/145lbs. This guy should have left really good tracking, lot of varibles can screw ya though, rain might have been the culprit.

·
Registered
550 Posts
LoL..That was a good one hkdonfishn..But i dont know how this guy can be sleeping in a place like that..You cant imagine the size of the bucks that are running around down there..My deer was the like smallest one that was in the area..There are some real slammers down there...He better take some No Doz or something next time.. [up]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But i dont know how this guy can be sleeping in a place like that..
From what I've seen, the rut hasn't even got going too good so far, this guy's hocks only had a little dark brown spot on them. The ticket in those places I've mentioned above, is "he who can sit". I'm as guilty as a rookie, I get ansy after a few hours. When the rut is in full swing, I believe it's the slammers get all the "possum". They run all day long and if your in a good spot and there's a doe in heat in your area, and luck is on your side for you to get a shot, then it's up to you to capitalize on the opportunity.
It can be any time of day

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I found a guy sleeping in the woods one time. He was wearing jeans and black studded belt. I tried waking him, but he didn't wake up. I went back you Troopers and we walked up towards him and he was at full draw.

B

·
0 Posts
I think he found Mysti !!!!! Mysti is tired from doing that hash, looking for treats in the garbage cans all night, flashing the moon and taking a deuce in the woods, he's also tired from yelling out "IT'S 6 DAY, NOT SHOTGUN SEASON !!!!!"

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One thing about public land, ya never know what your gonna run into. One of the funnier things I remember at this spot was a girl horse rider shooting me the moon, while she wee weed, wish there was digital camera's back then.
This guy might have driven a decent distance and/or got off a mid-night shift and just couldn't fight it off any longer, but I still don't understand, why he'd do it right at the base of his stand.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
It ain me sleeping at the base of the tree, but I have done it. Worked all night sat in the stand with the sun warming me up..zzzz. Instead of hiking back to the truck, and then back to the stand, I will just lay down at the bottom of the stand and take a nap. Just think how many deer you would push around walking to the truck and back. Bottom of the stand, nice and quiet.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I remember in the 70's, when I worked 3 shifts at Oyster Creek. Many times on stand I'd catch myself dosing off.
That was way before the safety harness days and it could'a got ugly.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
why would somebody take a nap on the ground...i would just go up the tree stand...thats weird..
I do it because I can't fall from the ground, also remember " it's not the fall that hurts you, its the sudden stop at the bottom":D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts