New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I was wondering firstly WHO BUYS MULLET. next I was wondering where are they usually found (habitat, shallow or deep water, ETC.). how big do they get in nj (pictures if possible). where are they NOW? and lastly where do I get a license to cast net them.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Eskimo,ha! I knew someone was going to go there.

·
Registered
331 Posts
if your looking to sell them commercially you should probably check NJ F&G first, you need a license to sell bait, they are common along the beaches right now wade out about waist deep and you should see them, ive only seen them about 6-8" long at the biggest in NJ, in florida ive seen them about 18" long

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
i seen them up to a foot long in nj but not a lot.most bait shops have locals who catch them their fresh bait, you step on their toes you are asking for trouble. a lot of the locals depend on that money and if you try to cut them out, well lets just say you will be a regular at good year. for a long time i did spearing, bunker , mullet and grass shrimp, it takes a while to build up trust and get into the bait game without stepping on toes.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Right now,they are still in the bays,but usually start moving early September out the inlets*Finger Mullet and they can be anywhere from 3 to 6" and bigger later in the season as they migrate down the beaches in the Fall*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts