New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from one of my " friends " that I lease some land with. He told me that he had shot a spike late yesterday and could not find it. He said that he had shot it at about 10yds. with his slug gun. He said he tracked it about 100yds., but was AFRAID to go any further for fear of getting lost. Since he had to work today he asked me to look for it.
And I said yes [sad]
This deer went close to 300yds. bleeding like a stuck pig. When I found it I could see why. Mr. Deadeye, only shot off the left front leg ( at 10yds. ?? )
It took me 3 hrs. to get this little deer out of the woods. What a drag. It was thick as a B*tch in there.
But at least the deer will not go to waste.
The things we do for our friends.
He says he will buy me dinner ! About half way through the drag, I would have settled for CPR :p

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
That's sad but good job on the follow-up favor. [up]
Tell your friend to get back to the range? 10 yards...and he hits the leg? [confused]

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Your follow up was to be commended dude but I would recommend you take the gun off him and tell him to take up some other sport that this is not for him. Could he go all night and into the next day looking for any thing if he had to. To give up the chase like that is it a game violation?

Sorry that just disgusts me.
I'm glad they had enough sense to come get you.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
ask your friend to save his money from the dinner and buy some ammo and head to the range.:)

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll feel better about rcovering his deer after I soak my aching back in my jaccuzzi !
But I am glad I found it. I hate nothing more than losing a deer, whether it's mine or someone elses.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was cold but not frozen. He said when he heard it jump up in front of him he backed off the track. About the only smart thing he did [sad]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Yikes!

Looks like some shooting lessons are on order for your friend.

Glad you took up the search[up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Great recovery, but I agree, he needs to shoot a little better.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
If he was using a scope this would account for the low shot. He probable thought that since he has a scope he does not have to compensate. 10 feet would make a low shot with the scope. Good recovery..! I would sit him down and fill him in on deer hunting and how to aim and things like that. Why did he let him get so close anyways?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Good job nightstalker. Tell that clown that he should actually practice shooting before he hunts. What would he have done if you weren't able to recover it for him,leave it to the coyotes and buzzards? In my opinion,if you aren't going to be responsible enough to follow up on a hunt the next day if it needs be, then you shouldn't hunt at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts