New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:p
New guy here. Originally from Cherry Hill and have lived in Atlanta, Ga for the last 15 years. Am moving back to the area to have my kids grow up with their extended family members.

What do I need to know about getting hunting license, gun laws, transferring my C&R etc etc?

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
first off Hello & welcome, You would need to live in NJ for 6months before you can get you hunting lic. You would need a resident hunting lic ( old one...NJ, GA ) to get one in NJ, if none then you need to take the hunt ed class.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You can a hunting lic if you have one from previous yrs or another state or hunters safety certificate. If not it is pretty easy to get one in nj. Call the state and they will send you a packet with everything you need to do, study and go take the test.Now for your guns you have to go to the local police station where you are moving to and apply for a firearms purchasers card first time fee $48 to the sbi and the local police dept fee which can vary It was $5 in my town and if you have pistols you need to apply for pistol permits they were $2 each where I live.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
When I moved to NJ from CO a few years ago... I just brought my shotguns and rifles with me. I do not own a pistol.

Then I had to wait 6 months to purchase a NJ resident firearm hunting license... I just showed them a previous PA resident license I had. However, I had to take the NJ archery test because I could not find my resident PA archery stamp. Oh... and I had to take the NJ rifle/muzzleloader test too.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
First, welcome to this site. And second, why on earth would you move here? LOL If you are an avid hunter, you will find NJ one of the worst places to hunt due to the millions of rules and regs that this stupid state inflicts us with. Plus the countless number of antis. Oops, sorry for the rant.

Welcome aboard.
David

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow great responses and fast ... i was not even finish surfing the rest of the site and you all had jumped up and answered. Maybe we all need to get to work.

Anyway, I am mostly a bird hunter (quail and grouse), have a couple of English Setters, enjoy clay shooting and pistol shooting in Georgia. I own 3 shotguns and a few handguns. I compete in IDPA events and am thinking about entering a Skeet Comp around Thanksgiving.

So, I have to get a FPID Card as well as a permit for my handguns? License should not be a problem, I have my last ten years of Ga licenses. How about CCW? Is it possible? Does anyone here have a license to carry? If you dont want to disclose publicly, I would understand.

I like the "NJ is the best of the worst" comment.

And yes, surf fishing does rock, I did it growing up on LBI and am looking forward to picking it up again and teaching my boys. Moving back to NJ to be closer to a beach is very high on the reason to go back.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
NJ is one of the best places to hunt... and one of the worse.
Drag,
You are correct in your phrase. Maybe it's me, but I've been getting pretty disgusted with this state's shenanigans lately.

David

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Welcome, you will also need to register your guns in your town, that takes only a few minutes. A few Law Enforcement Officer are members of this site, so if you have questions on Title 39 (Traffic) or 2C (Criminal Law) Just ask.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
The FID is not simply an ID to purchase a firearm.... According to the NJSA it is needed to purchase and transport a firearm. Technically you need to have the card to have the cased gun in your vehicle. The pistol permit is a permit to purchase a specific handgun. You need one for each pistol you buy. If you move from another state and already own a handgun it doesn't apply. The FID does apply to transporting the pistol.

Bear in mind I have never heard of someone going hunting or to a target range being stopped and checked for this card.

I have heard that a valid hunting license during hunting season subsitutes for the FID card. I have been unable to find any mention of this in the NJSA.

Don't completly rely on anything posted on this site because we are just expressing what we think. The best thing to do is get Evan Nappen's book. He is a lawyer and an expert on weapons law.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts