New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is common practice if any for relocating to another section of woods on state land. I dont want to move in on someone but i want to start getting ready and dont want to waste time and money to find someone hunting next to me opening day. This may not be avoidable being state land just thought i would get some input

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Walk in more than a 10 or 15 minute walk and your odds of seeing another hunter drop substantially.Most hunters don't go more than a few hundred yards.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Are you going to set a stand and then bait? or just sit there and hope for the best?

Its good to see where others are and then use them to set your self up as the deer pattern them how they enter the area to get to their stands. You then can use other hunters to set up your stand to get a shot if you know the pattern of the deer first couple stands you sit in relation to how they set up.

Should know where the deer in the area feed,bed and travel before any stands are set then use the stand as an observation then set up for the shot. Any thing else you might as well nature watch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am gong to bait if it gets hit then i am going to put a camera out if that doesnt get stolen before i check it i will decide if i am going to put up my stand. This is now as the season gets closer and if i see more hunter activity i will change my plans just tring to avoid that

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Depends on where in public land you are hunting. I used to hunt this one WMA and I found 2 things. First, if I walked in about 20-30 minute hike into the thick stuff or deep into the ravine where no one had the guts to walk, I found myself some deer. Eventually deer would get pushed to me. Second, during early bow season, I once hunted the first few weeks literally a few hundred feet from the parking lot. The opposite was true...no need to go deep as the deer haven't been pushed or skittish since last winter and there were lots of deer right behind the parking lot!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.